Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: boat leak help

Post Thanks / Like

Default boat leak help

went fishing this morning and after fishing for about 3 hrs we went to move and my boat didnt want to plane off,and was back heavy,and sure enough i looked and was d**n near full of water.hit the bildge and made it back to ramp,and upon review i found the white piece (plastic) near drain plug with hose hooked to it would pour water when i wiggled hose,i removed hose and when i went to unscrew the plastic piece it was very loose and then broke in half.looks like a simple enough repair,but does anybody have any not to do,s with this.

i have found this piece is called a thru hull fitting.

Post Thanks / Like

Default what is it connected to??

once you find out what it is connected to you can buy an new thru hull fitting and make the inside connection and then caulk with marine caulk and tighten things back up. should be good as new then.
    Gilby aka Bill :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default oh yeah

if it goes thru wood check for rot while u have the fittin out just in case it has been leaking for a while. no need putting a new fitting in rotten wood.
    Gilby aka Bill :D

Post Thanks / Like

im pretty sure it is a livewell drain,but i am a boat newbie.it is at very bottom of boat rite beside the main boat plug.it is a fiberglass boat and i looked in the hole and the transcum looks fine.i looked at wal mart tonite and they had em but the package said not for below water line.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

The plastic would make me a little nervous. Down in the heat of the south and all the sunlight, plastic would die an early death.

I always used "Marine-tex' for small jobs on a boat. It will seal up a leak in a Gas tank while gas is leaking out of the tank and running down your arm.
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe livewell pump. Just replace it with a new one. I always use 1000 % blue silione from autoparts store, and never had a problem. DO NOT EVERTIGHTEN. Get it tight, but don't go crazy.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Should be a cheap and easy fix.

Post Thanks / Like

im gonna find where it goes today,there are 3 holes at bottom of boat.one is the main plug,then on the right of that is a strainer like piece,i believe this is the livewell pump,looks like inside the transcum is a small pump connected to this hole,then this one to the left that is hooked to a 3/4 inch black rubber hose that looks like it is running straight toward the front of boat.

i think a new thru hull and some marine sealer will get me high and dry.thanks fellows.

well i checked it out today and it is the livewell drain,i have had the boat out 4 times since i got it and has always took on a little water,but yesterday was a all day fishing day for first time.i hope this is where the water has been getting in from,the plastic thru hull piece looks like it has been loose for a while,where it goes through the hull it was wore down to almost paper thin,and that is where it broke.hopefully i will be all dry now,it would sure make me feel more comfortable when fishing.im new at boat fishing and a little uneasy to start with,and yesterday when the boat wouldnt plane off kinda made me nervous.
    Last edited by southern; 11-02-2008 at 12:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

oh and btw,thanks guys for helping a rookie out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast