Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fickled Fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fickled Fish

Finally made it out fishing yesterday. It has been awhile since I have been out fishing so figured I would have to figure them out but took 2 casts and It was as tho I had been fishing all along. This week the weather has been fairly decent but I had a few things to finish up before I could go. The boat ramp parking lot was full when I got there. As luck would have it there was 1 parking spot left. It was as tho I was destined to go fishing yesterday. When I stopped at the bait shop they said that there were a lot of guys headed for the lake. I got on the water by 10:00 so the first flight (as I call them)or the early fishermen was off the lake and so I had a spot to park. There was a boat, fishing by the ramp, and they said it was pretty slow and they had only caught 2 keeper all morning, and that they was deep. I figured I would start at the Marina boat docks. I figured I would start in 12-14 ft of water and work my way out to the deeper water. On my second cast I noticed that my line jumped on the way down after I cast between 2 pontoons. I put a bobber on and set it about 5 ft and cast. Before the ripples went away the bobber went down and I had a nice 11 inch White Crappie. 5 more cast brought in 5 more nice Crappie. For the next 25-30 cast I had a fish on every cast, but the size dropped to 9-1/2 inches. Then it took 10 fish to get a keeper. After it slowed down I went out to a ledge and caught a few more in 17 ft and they was down about 6-8 ft down over brush on the ledge. I hooked a huge Crappie and when it saw the boat it really started pulling and just tore off the hook. That was the Biggest Crappie I have ever since. I was reaching for the net when it tore off. At first I thought it was a bass by the mouth but when I got a good look at him I seen it was a Crappie. I believe I could have put my fist in its mouth it was so big. I caught a few there and then went back to the Marina and finished the day there. I started back at 5 ft but was getting a lot of little fish so raised the bobber up to 2-3 ft and started catching big one's again. Most of my keeper fish came in 14 ft of water only 2-3 ft down. I caught between 100-150 fish before I quite. Our limit is 30 fish but I lost count so quite keeping them. When I got home I only had 23 nice Crappie. If I would have had anyone with me we could have limited out easy. I used minnows under a pencil float. Part of the time they just moved the float a little bit and didn't really take it under and then there were times they slammed it. Very fun day for me not having to worry about making sure other people catch fish. The water was 57 degrees and with the sun shining they was up in the shade of the boats but shallow.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a great day
    Remember "I" before "E," except in Budweiser

Post Thanks / Like

what lake?

Post Thanks / Like

This is a private lake south of Plattsmouth, Ne.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p