Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Battery Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Battery Help

I sure could use some battery advice. I'd like to add a 4th battery to my boat to be dedicated to black lights, submersible lights, yada yada yada. Is it necessary to permanenly mount this 4th battery and its charger. I sure would love to find some sort of portable battery that I could just put in the boat (maybe sit it on the front deck or behind the passenger seat), hook my stuff up to it and then just pull it out when I'm not using it. I only get out at night a couple of times a month and its going to be real expensive to take my boat to my dealer, have them permantly mount a battery, mounting bracket and charger. Also, would one dedicated 4th battery run a couple of brinkman starfires and a blacklight for the better portion of a night?

Ya'll steer me in right direction of what battery and charger has the most bang for the buck and any other advice would be greatly appreciated on how to "temporarily mount" this battery! Also, who makes a good adaptor that has alligator clips to hook to the battery and then mulitple female cigarette lighter receptables? Thanks much!

tom

Post Thanks / Like

Default auxiliary battery

Quote Originally Posted by TomC
    I sure could use some battery advice. I'd like to add a 4th battery to my boat to be dedicated to black lights, submersible lights, yada yada yada. Is it necessary to permanenly mount this 4th battery and its charger. I sure would love to find some sort of portable battery that I could just put in the boat (maybe sit it on the front deck or behind the passenger seat), hook my stuff up to it and then just pull it out when I'm not using it. I only get out at night a couple of times a month and its going to be real expensive to take my boat to my dealer, have them permantly mount a battery, mounting bracket and charger. Also, would one dedicated 4th battery run a couple of brinkman starfires and a blacklight for the better portion of a night?

Ya'll steer me in right direction of what battery and charger has the most bang for the buck and any other advice would be greatly appreciated on how to "temporarily mount" this battery! Also, who makes a good adaptor that has alligator clips to hook to the battery and then mulitple female cigarette lighter receptables? Thanks much!

tom
    Tom I know their expensive but for my money you can't beat the Optima batteries. In your application, it sounds like the battery will be sitting around for most of the time, and the with the spiral technology it's made to do that, also it's totally sealed, it can be mounted upside down, so if by some chance it turns over in your boat because it doesn't have a permanent mount it won't hurt or leak.It's lead acid, so any small charger(6-12 amps) will work. and they have tremendous capacity to run whatever you put on them. And as far as mounting, I'd just get myself a old thick rubber mat and set the battery in the bottom near the stern when running, and where ever you need it while in use. Kind of depends on what kind of boat you have.
    I'm not sure about an adapter.
    Good luck on whatever you choose.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Without any doubt I would pick the Blue Top D31M for that application.

I have (2) D34M's in back of my toon for my kicker and auxilliary. An would have had (2) D31M's up front on the Minnkota if Sears would have came through with my order. The weight, size, and charging time is unbelievable.

They are expensive, but it seems like on any boat I have ever owned the batteries was the weakest link, and the one you depend on the most.

The D34M is a dual purpose Deep Cycle/Start, the D31M is a dedicated Deep Cycle only.
    You do not want the Red Top or the Yellow Top, the Blue Top is the Marine battery.

Here is a link to their specs:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...cal_specs.html
    Last edited by VietVet68; 05-26-2005 at 08:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The optima batteries are great, and expensive. I saw an exide in Checker Auto yesterday that uses the same technology as the Optima and was a little cheaper.

Another alternative is to put your money into new lights that draw very little power from your current batteries. New black lights that double as green lights are now available that have more output than what you are using, with very little battery drain. A typical deep cycle battery will power the new lights at full brightness for 12 days continuesly.

Post Thanks / Like

howdy; if you get the 'Do it yourself" channel they have a nice show called " Shipshape Boating" here's a link where they installed a new 'house and starting' batteries; http://www.diynet.com/diy/shows_dssb..._25804,00.html . at least you can cut out the marinia. buy more fish'n stuff. tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! The optima's seem like the way to go. Sorry for the ignorance but can you give me a specific mfg/model # battery charger that works well that has some sort of a cut off or trickle mode so I don't burn my house down! Sorry for asking ya'll to spell things out for me but I just don't want to guess!

Who makes the best adaptor to hook to the battery that has mulitple female cigarette lighter receptacles? The optimas seem expensive but it looks like they are well worth the money!

tom

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation TomC .....

I was going to suggest getting yourself one of those "portable jumper batteries" ( http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...results1.jhtml )and the cig lighter connectors ... but, I'm not sure the jumper battery would run two Brinkmans for very long. I run my two Blacklights off this type of setup ... but their draw is pretty low.

The "cig lighter" connectors I have, came from WallyWorld ... one is a single male plug wired to two female recepticles --- the other is one female recepticle wired to two alligator clips. This way I can use them with a regular battery or jumper battery. I believe they were in the automotive section of the store.
    The 1M/2FM setup looks something like this (minus the cover caps)
    http://www.tessco.com/products/getPr...o.do?sku=54745

There are other "versions" - like this one:
    http://www.cellularaccessory.com/yadapter.html

As far as a battery for your proposed use - a sealed heavy duty marine type battery would probably be best ... a deep cycle type with a lot of "reserve capacity". A D31M Optima Blue Top will run you around $200 .... a Minn-Kota/Trojan will run around $170. Or, since you are going to be using this "extra" battery, only on occasion, you might look at some of the less expensive ones. Being able to remove the battery, take it in the house & recharge it, will allow you the extra space - won't require a on-board charger, but will require a marine battery charger. I have a Shumacher Deep Cycle 10 charger (H901) that is "older than dirt", but still works great. The "newest" model of this type charger, and the cheapest price I've seen for it, is at this link - http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/A72747.htm

As always ............. luck2ya ............cp

Post Thanks / Like

Blue Top Type: D34M / D31M
    These batteries are dual purpose. They are designed for engine starting and deep cycling applications and for use in boats with large accessory loads.

Recommended charging information:

Alternator:
    13.65 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery charger:
    13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.

Cyclic Applications:
    14.7 volts, no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). When current falls below 1 amp, finish with 2 amp constant current for 1 hour for D34M and 3 amp constant current for 1 hour for D31M.

Rapid Recharge:
    Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated).
    Maximum current: No limit as long as temperature <125°F (51.7°C).
    Maximum recharge time: Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

Float charge:
    13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks and think I'll go with the optima.

I'm sure its right in front of my face but I don't see any adapters that have alligator clips on one end to hook to the battery and then cigarette adapters on the other end to connect my accesories.

tom

Post Thanks / Like

Default battery help

Tom C,

How about this little jewel. It already has a cig lighter receptacle as well as a battery level tester. Put your optima in it and go. You can also get a single to dual receptacle to plug into the box, then you can run two different circuits seperately.

FP67
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast