Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Thanks for the OFF TOPIC Post about Wasp Stings!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the OFF TOPIC Post about Wasp Stings!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't remember who it was but a while back somebody mentioned treating bee or wasp stings with tomato juice. Whoever that was THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

While I was getting the kids tube down from where it's been hanging in my boat shed since last summer I painfully discovered a nest of Red Wasps by getting a good solid sting on the ring finger of my right hand.

I went straight to the garden and got a nice ripe tomato poked my finger right down in the middle of it. Sure enough the pain subsided within seconds and I now can barely tell I've been stung – it’s been about 15-minute since it happened.

If you've ever been stung by a Red Wasp you know how painful it can be both initially and for several days after.

When I finish this post I'm going to get my finger back in that tomato for a good soaking. Then I'm going to have to figure out how to deal with the Red Wasps since I already promised my boys I’d take them tubing and

CRAPPIE FISHING
    (there, now we're back on topic)!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation sting relief ...

Here's some other "remedies" that are supposed to work (for those that don't happen to have a tomato handy ) ....

1- apply a paste of baking soda/apple cidar vinegar and leave on for 5 mins.

2- apply apple cidar vinegar to the sting site

3- place the inside portion of a banana peel on the sting site

4- cut a green onion/potato/leek and place it directly on the sting site

5- apply a paste of meat tenderizer/water on sting site

DO ANY OF THESE ACTUALLY WORK ? I don't know ... but some people swear by them. But, since Wasp venom is alkaline, then an acidic solution may help neutralize it.

One thing I do know, and I'm sure those that are allergic do, too .... IF you are allergic to "stings" - have a "Epi-pen" handy, at all times ! If swelling increases or doesn't go down in a short time, if you have difficulty breathing, or you receive multiple stings ... seek medical attention ASAP !! ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alkaline or High pH stings

I saw on the Animal Plant once that vinegar would help relive the pain from stings from Box Jellyfish. So the acid does work on Wasps too.

Tomatoes are very acidic. About pH of 4.0 on the pH scale. 0 being very acidic 7.0 neutral and 12 very basic. Remember that the pH scale is logarithmic and that each change in number is ten time more than the last number. So going from 7 to 6 is ten times more acidic and going from 7 to 5 is 100 times more acidic so going from 7 to 4 is 1000 times more acidic.
    Coke is very acidic also so it might work as a substitute for vinegar or a tomato.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    Here's some other "remedies" that are supposed to work (for those that don't happen to have a tomato handy ) ....

1- apply a paste of baking soda/apple cidar vinegar and leave on for 5 mins.

2- apply apple cidar vinegar to the sting site

3- place the inside portion of a banana peel on the sting site

4- cut a green onion/potato/leek and place it directly on the sting site

5- apply a paste of meat tenderizer/water on sting site

DO ANY OF THESE ACTUALLY WORK ? I don't know ... but some people swear by them. But, since Wasp venom is alkaline, then an acidic solution may help neutralize it.

One thing I do know, and I'm sure those that are allergic do, too .... IF you are allergic to "stings" - have a "Epi-pen" handy, at all times ! If swelling increases or doesn't go down in a short time, if you have difficulty breathing, or you receive multiple stings ... seek medical attention ASAP !! ...cp
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jerry. If my memory serves me correctly, which that sure isn't a guarantee, seems like i remember posting that. Not 100% sure though.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jerry......OT

I've had those occasions with red wasps a few times, It makes me mad enough go to war with them. Here's what I do; I grab a can of wasp spray, (the kind that kills on contact and sprays 20 feet or more) and before I go to bed I get the spray and a flashlight and approach quietly within shooting distance and drop every one of them. Stay far enough that the spray will spread enough to cover the entire nest and you will get all of them. They will all be on the nest all night, some say an hour before dawn is better, but it will be cool enough around 10:00 to make them lethargic. Might be a good idea to look for more nests before your kids get stung. Seems like when I was a kid the stings were worse, I guess because of smaller body size and tender skin. This has always worked for me, and have never been stung while doing it. I've heard wasps make good crappie bait, but if they have been sprayed I don't think they will be good candidates for crappie snacks. Hey, now we're back on topic! BTY, test your spray pattern before you attack....

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have two cans of that Wasp and Hornet Spray on me at all times in my garage

I hate wasps and bumblebee's. I always keep a can of that wasp spray handy in my garage. I use it every spring to clear out wasp nests. I hang my mop at the back door and over the deck railing. The railing that is covered by the mop head always has a red wasp building a nest betweent the deck upper rail and the mop itself. It's cool and dark back there and each year I can guarantee that a wasp will build a nest there. Also the dryer vent it a sure bet for a wasp nest. I don't have a dryer anymore so I had to plug up the vent inside the house by sticking a rag inside it. Each Spring I shoot some wasp spray in the hole after removing the rag. I have to clean out both of these areas twice each summer as the wasps are persistant. After I kill one wasp family another family will try to rebuild the nest. I have a 500 watt Flood light at my back door so that attracts a lot of bugs which in turn attracts the spiders. The wasps love to catch spiders and put them in their nests. The best thing since quaker oats was that spray stuff that shoots out to 20ft. I shoot them during the day time and then run like He double hockey sticks. LOL The Raid stuff is great as it drops them right in their tracks

Another tatic is to get those bug bombs and set them off inside the boat house. They fog the entire structure and kill all the bugs inside it over night.

Be careful if you try to shoot those wasps from inside the building as you don't have as much room to run away if you miss. I have been known to run for 100 yards to get away from a wasp when I shoot and miss. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    I've had those occasions with red wasps a few times, It makes me mad enough go to war with them. Here's what I do; I grab a can of wasp spray, (the kind that kills on contact and sprays 20 feet or more) and before I go to bed I get the spray and a flashlight and approach quietly within shooting distance and drop every one of them. Stay far enough that the spray will spread enough to cover the entire nest and you will get all of them. They will all be on the nest all night, some say an hour before dawn is better, but it will be cool enough around 10:00 to make them lethargic. Might be a good idea to look for more nests before your kids get stung. Seems like when I was a kid the stings were worse, I guess because of smaller body size and tender skin. This has always worked for me, and have never been stung while doing it. I've heard wasps make good crappie bait, but if they have been sprayed I don't think they will be good candidates for crappie snacks. Hey, now we're back on topic! BTY, test your spray pattern before you attack....
    Regards,

Moose1am

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wasp Question???

I leave my pontoon in the water spring thru fall. I have to constantly fight wasp and dirt dobbers. They set up house overnight. I have tried everything to get rid of them, but they just keep coming back. I put some moth balls under the console. It stopped the dobbers, but not the wasp. Also wasp build nests overnight under my bassboat canvas. I usually get stung 4-5 times a year. I am not allergic to the stings, but they do pixx me off and kinda hurts too. Any suggestions?

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Keep a tomato handy!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cedar

Try laying a few pieces of cedar around the pontoon boat and see if that works.
    Another one of those things that my grandfather taught me years ago.