Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Few crappie but a real GOOD DAY

Post Thanks / Like

Default Few crappie but a real GOOD DAY

I fish Holiday Lake , Va today. This lake is about ten miles northof the Appomatox Courthouse. I went for crappie and yellow perch. I went last fri. and ended up with 2 pickeral and a 2.5 lb rainbow trout. This lake is not stocked but an inflow creek is and some come down for a change of scenery. We've had 3 very warm days since then and I was hoping the perch and crappie would be in the lower end of the lake by now. I brought 2 dozen minnows and within 2 hours caught 21 fish. 2 crappie,2 perch, 2 bass, and 15 pickeral. I was not about to leave at 11 AM so I bought 3 dozen more minnows. I ended the day with 2 crappie,6 perch,6 bass, and more than 3 dozen pickeral. I kept 3 perch and both crappies to go with the trout. I witnessed an amazing scene while there. When I first arrived I spotted a LARGE fish near one of the piers marking off the swimming area. At this time there is no swimming so the floating rope is not attached. I was able to make casts all around this fish but NOTHING. I figured it was a carp as the bream paid it little interest. Around noon I was drawn to a movement, this carp shot into the bream with enough force to get it out of the water with its catch.It then moved back to the pier,ate its bream and ignored all my casts. Maybe we had a better bait in service, you pulled the pin and tossed it in,NAH, I'm to old to hear thatmuch noise and you have to explain the new hole in the bottom of the lake,fish pieces on shore. Oh well about 4 PM some kids started playing on the waters edge and MR. CARP-BASS swam away. Until the rope goes up I'll definately cast to that pier. Good Fishing Larry :D :D

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Larry, Do you ever fish Briary Creek? If so, is it a good crappie lake and have you fished it lately?
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Don ; Yes I have fished it often. Briery has a good amount of decent crappie . The lake has alot of standing/fallen timber so has a 10 hp limit. Right now the bass people are all over as its a trophy bass lake. About 2 years ago I had a strike and hook-up but was unable to either turn the fish or bring it to the surface, I was using a 9 foot ML with 17 lb. test and the line broke above the stop-knot for my slip sinker. The warden was standing there and he said they electro-fished some record fish earlier that month. The crappie and bream are plentiful and good sized also. There are 3 launches,2 hard surface and 1 gravel so launching is no problem. At the dam end there are a number of piers with shelfs and deep water near-by. If you cross an 460 take 15S at Farmville and look for an exxon station ( Worsham Grocery) about 5 miles down the road on the left. Ask for Chuck and he will tell you where to fish at that time, with the women at the store its a hit or miss event. Good Fishing Larry :D