Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long is your jiggin' pole

Post Thanks / Like

Default How long is your jiggin' pole

I'm headed out in the morning to Concordia Parish Louisiana for some crappie fishing. My longest pole is a 7ft'er that I used for bass at one point. My question is do you all think this will work for jigging for crappie. I know there are better choices but if I can save a few $$$$ then so much the better. What do ya'll think?
    There's nothing like feeling that THUMP...FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

If you're jigging in deeper water then, yes it will work. If you plan on getting into the shallows around cover you may spook them before you can get your bait in front of them. If 7' is the longest you have, you may try to use a small cork with minnow or jig and cast into the area you want to fish. cast past the point you want to fish and let bait settle. Use a slowwww steady retrieve and when you get to that spot let it rest. Pop the line a few times then let settle. If no strike, use the slow and steady retrieve back to the boat and repeat. This is a fun and deadly technique when you get the hang of it. I use a 1/16 or 1/32oz jig when I fish this way. When I did get into tightline jigging I purchased a wm 9' pro series rod and never looked back. I have 5 of them now in 7-12' lengths. Super-sensitive for those light nibbles. The newer ones have a notch cut out of the cork for you to feel the rod blank for even more sensitivity. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

You can fish with a steel rod if you want to but you'll have more fun with a light action rod. Length if you are fishing very deep with a drop shot rig dosen't matter as much as it does in shallow water. If you are channel ledge fishing I like to have a short rod on the deep side and a longer rod out over the first part of the drop. Just gets you on the fish better sometimes. Go with what you've got if there are no other options cause fishin any kinda way beats staying at home.
    A man is not judged by what he has done for himself but by what he has done for others.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the on put out by JB Salter out of Erwinvill, LA. 10' in length. I have used the Uncle Bucks and the kind where the line goes through the inside of the pole, it's really a pain when you break off and have to break out the little wire to restring. The Salter's has some backbone to but not like fishing with a broom stick. I guess it really boils down to what you feel comfortable with and learn to use.

Bruce
    Leave two for seed. Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Default 9-12 ft.

I have used poles from a 9' up to 12' I like the shorter rod when fishing in the timber but I like to fish the longer rods when fishing deeper water because I dont have to pull in as much line to get the fish in...and it is also easier to get up on the fish without spooking them and you can cover an area better with the longer poles. It all in what works for you. I say use what you have for now and if it seems to present a problem then when you can up-grade get yourself a nice pole rigged up for some serious fishin:D
    Brandon Jennings
    Bayou Crappie ETC

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 10'6" Grizzly Elite Brush Rod for thick cover or deep water If I need to stay a little further out I use the Wally Marshell Pro Series 12' to haul in the slabs!
    Mr. Plucker

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 11' WM pole for vertical jigging. I'm sure your 7' pole will be fine for overcast days, maybe, maybe not for sunny days. Of course, the clarity of the water you are fishing is a big factor.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10' most of the time, 9' for general shallow water, 12' for deeper water although these get heavy after a while

Post Thanks / Like

I use one of Richard Williams 10' ploes for Jigging....Love pulling those big spawning slabs out of the shallow brush on it.

Post Thanks / Like

There's been a ton of fish caught on a 7' rod, you will be wise to take Jeepsters advice & try a float so as not to get right on top of e'm. But if the water has a good stain on it go for it! Check some garage sales out in you area, sometimes the deer hunters pawn their tackle before season, you may be surprised what you find...good luck.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast