PDA

View Full Version : Update on Son

skiptomylu
10-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I have not kept you up on every turn that has gone on since his amputation, but here is where we are after another taking of two more inches off about 6 weeks after the original surgery.

Hi everyone,

Just heard from Randy a few minutes ago and he had the MRI last night and it confirmed the MRSA and the choice he has made instead of 10 days of antibiotics and shaving the bone back (another surgery), he is going to use the Hyperbaric Chamber and each day a home health nurse will go to his house and give him IV antibiotics. This will be everyday for 8 weeks. Like he said they took an additional 2" off last time and it didn't help so unless it's was going to kill him he wanted this method of dealing with the MRSA.

The MRSA has been his trouble the entire time since the amputation and hopefully this will get rid of it and then he will heal properly.

Thank you all for your prayers and support,
Skip

catman
10-30-2008, 01:20 PM
i'm wishing the very best for your son. prayer sent.

NoMinners
10-30-2008, 01:30 PM
I wish him all the luck and will pray for him. I had a very bad case of MRSA about two years ago. I thought I was going to die. With the help of doctors and keeping EVERYTHING wiped down and bacteria free, I got through it. I was washing sheets everyday and not ever touching my nose where it lives. You have to sanitize EVERYTHING, ALL THE TIME. My wife was a big help, hope he has someone to help him through this. That stuff is nasty. How did he get it, in the hospital?

crappiencali
10-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Skip tell Randy that he is in my prayers and I hope that he gets well very soon.

poppop
10-30-2008, 02:33 PM
skip...we continue to keep your family in our prayers.

rcfillingham
10-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Skip
Your son and family are in our thoughts and prayers.

NITRONATE
10-30-2008, 03:13 PM
I've had MRSA twice in the last year on the back of my neck,and that is some nasty stuff.

CrappieHound
10-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Could someone please explain what MRSA is for us that have never dealt with it.?

We will be praying for Randy, Skip.

The Hound

Perch Jerker35
10-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Prayer Sent.

Outlaw1&2
10-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Skip may God bless your son for the pain and injury he has suffered,we all will pray for him to heal and get better.

lag
10-30-2008, 03:54 PM
MRSA is a form of staph that is resistant to normal medicine. I don't remember the exact words, but put simply that is what it is. Nasty stuff. Skip, our prayers are with him and the rest of you.

skiptomylu
10-30-2008, 04:17 PM
MRSA a form of staph that is really bad stuff and he first got it right after he got blown up in Iraq in Dec 2006. So all we know is some time that year early in 2007 he had it. Don't know if he got it in Iraq in the hospital since he was there for a couple days because of the weather they could not fly him out to Germany, but as soon as he got there a team was sent there from BAMC in San Antonio to bring him back. So it could have been in any of them.

However we thought it was defeated, but now has it again so we don't really know if it's just been hiding until now and come back or if it's a new case. If new he would have got it at BAMC though.

They thought it was MRSA and then the MRI confirmed it for sure so 8 weeks of IV antibiotics now and hopefully it gets it done in this time.

Thanks all,

Skip

polywog
10-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the update. You are all still in our prayers

Don G
10-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Doris & I talked with Randy while we were in Tampa last week..What a fine young man with such a positive attitude..He has been through a lot in the past 2 years....It is young folks like Randy that shines brightly in our troubled country...

Thanks to all the Vets that have served and are serving now...

We hope to see Randy when we return to Tampa in December....

He & his family are in our prayers..

Jeepster04
10-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Sorry to hear of the troubles. That MRSA is some vicious stuff!! Your family will be in my prayers. Tell him to hang in there.

bobberwatcher
10-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Prayers being sent my friend.

Fishawk
10-30-2008, 09:10 PM
God bless him and all of our troops. I pray he heals soon and that all of our troops return safely.

father of 4
10-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Tell your Hero of a Son thanks for his service. He is a true Hero. Thanks and we will pray for a quick recovery.

g31448
10-31-2008, 06:05 AM
Prayers sent for speedy recovery.

rcfillingham
10-31-2008, 06:09 AM
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA, often pronounced "mersa") is a bacterium responsible for difficult-to-treat infections in humans. It may also be referred to as multiple-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or oxacillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (ORSA). MRSA is by definition a strain of Staphylococcus aureus that is resistant to a large group of antibiotics called the beta-lactams, which include the penicillins and the cephalosporins.

The organism is often sub-categorized as Community-Associated MRSA (CA-MRSA) or Health Care-Associated MRSA (HA-MRSA) although this distinction is complex. Some have defined CA-MRSA by criteria related to patients suffering from an MRSA infection while other authors have defined CA-MRSA by genetic characteristics of the bacteria themselves. CA-MRSA strains were first reported in the late 1990s; these cases were defined by a lack of exposure to the health care setting. In the next several years, it became clear that CA-MRSA infections were caused by strains of MRSA that differed from the older and better studied healthcare-associated strains.[1] The new CA-MRSA strains have rapidly spread in the United States to become the most common cause of cultured skin infections among individuals seeking medical care for these infections at emergency rooms in cities. These strains also commonly cause skin infections in athletes, jail and prison detainees, soldiers, Native Alaskans and Native Americans, and children in the inner city.

MRSA is a resistant variation of the common bacterium Staphylococcus aureus. It has evolved an ability to survive treatment with beta-lactamase resistant beta-lactam antibiotics, including methicillin, dicloxacillin, nafcillin, and oxacillin. MRSA is especially troublesome in hospital-associated (nosocomial) infections. In hospitals, patients with open wounds, invasive devices, and weakened immune systems are at greater risk for infection than the general public. Hospital staff who do not follow proper sanitary procedures may transfer bacteria from patient to patient. Visitors to patients with MRSA infections or MRSA colonization are advised to follow hospital isolation protocol by using the provided gloves, gowns, and masks if indicated. Visitors who do not follow such protocols are capable of spreading the bacteria to cafeterias, bathrooms, and elevators.

Hope this helps
RCFillingham

CrappieHound
10-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the explaination. Sounds like some nasty stuff.

Hopefully the new round of antibiotics will do the trick.

The Hound

Ol JohnnyBoy
10-31-2008, 10:55 AM
Oh goodness. Prayers Sent. God bless him...

skeetbum
10-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Thank your son for the sacrifices he made for my family and I. He'll be in my prayers. Remember Skip, he's a fighting man. He's gonna win this one.

brimreaper
11-02-2008, 02:03 AM
Skip
I am sorry to hear about the staph infection and am wondering just what I.V. antibiotics they are using. Vancomycin is the one they use the most but there are others to use. The hyper chamber sounds like a good idea it's used alot as well. I truely hope your son gets better and anything I can do to help please let me know. I'll pray for him and with this many asking God for help he's just gotta get better. Thanks to your family for all the freedoms that you have given up so that we might enjoy ours...brim

old fuzzy
11-02-2008, 10:28 AM
sorry to hear that this has been some of the healing problem,,hope they get it this time,,i had to go through three regiments of vancomycin,,the last one lasted 85 straight days of the stuff before i got rid of it,,some bad stuff,,prayers sent