Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tunnel Hull Boats?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tunnel Hull Boats?

Anybody got one or ever ride in a tunnel hull aluminum boat. I know they are for running in shallow water but how do they do in deep or rough water? What are the pros and cons? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have one a 16'+ just under 17' for Coast Guard Regs. It runs great in shallow water can get in and out of 12" and less water, it has a 6" set jack plate and jacked up as high as I can go with it, now I fish mainly small bayous so rough water isn't really a problem down here in South Louisiana (south of I-10). I have started fishing up in Central Louisiana in some open lakes that tend to get rough at times and it will beat you to death, I won't lie to you, if you slack off the gas it isn't to bad. With an almost flat bottom I think it has an 8 degree dead rise if I remember correctly. I bought it because it's a pretty heavy all welded boat with ribs every 12" and I also duck hunt out it. All in all I love it and wouldn't trade it for nothing. The only thing I would do is get rid of the 1979 85 HP Johnson Javlin and put a surface drive on it, if my wife would let me, then you talk about going places not sure anything but solid dirt would stop it then.

Bruce
    Last edited by Beaubayou; 10-30-2008 at 12:27 AM.
    Leave two for seed. Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

A tunnel hull takes getting used to. The motor sets in the tunnel, so you don't get much rudder effect from it . You have to steer under power, and it won't turn sharply. Makes loading a boat interesting sometimes. They will run shallow water well if you keep them powered up----just don't lose your nerve.