Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shad

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shad

Where will the shad go in the fall? If I can find the shad, I think I will find crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the lake you fish. Should move into the backs of creeks.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the same thing, but so far finding the shad haven't helped me much this fall
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I have learned about fall fishing is that the fish will move in to feed then back out to deeper locations near by. The past weekend at Arkabutla led most fishermen to shallow water in the backs of creeks and found no fish. I started shallow 2-3' with no returns, so I moved just outside of that shallow water to 6-8' and found fish. They bit there all afternoon then just stopped around 4:30. Later, I Realized that they had moved back to the shallower water for the late afternoon feed. From what I have read, fall fishing is different in one way from the spawn. Fall fish will not stage in prespawn waters before moving shallow. They will go in then back out to deep water. When you find the shad use your depthfinder to see how deep they are holding and fish just below them.

Post Thanks / Like

Last week at High Rock in NC the surface temp was in the low 60's. The fish were really scattered. We caught some back in coves in 2' and some out in the river in 25' of water.