Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: hi vis power pro in clear water

Post Thanks / Like

Default hi vis power pro in clear water

Give me some thougts on using high vis line like the yellow power pro in gin clear water. I just cant help but think it would spook the fish. Most of the time I will be using it for night stalking.
    Also what is the benefit to using the high vis vs the moss green? Is it just to be able to see the line moving side to side when a fish is carrying the bait?
    Finaly for all you nightstalkers out there my night stalking boat has a hard top 8x12 deck on it. I set a coleman latern up there for my aft light but it also serves to see the rod tips and light the area I am fishing. Plus since the light is in the middle of the upper deck the light beams dont shine in the boat and kill my night vision. I am wondering if there is something I can put on my rod tips other than white paint to help detetct those light strikes at night. I bought some reflective tape but its tough to cut so it fits right on the tip of the pole. Any sugguestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default rod tips

I am wondering if there is something I can put on my rod tips other than white paint to help detetct those light strikes at night. I bought some reflective tape but its tough to cut so it fits right on the tip of the pole. Any sugguestions?

You could try some fluorescent paint. These usually work well especially if they have been exposed to some light before you go out at night.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Gooch, I have been a die hard Fireline user for many years. I let some people talk me into getting some Power Pro Line. It twists up on itself, and knots up much easiee than Fireline. Can't pick the knots apart, so I have ended up cutting the messes out. The Hi-Vis Moss Green is anything BUT HI-VIS! Can't see it for nothing. C- in my book. I'm going back to FL.

Shadow, if you check on Ebay, there are some small luminous light sticks that can be fastened to your rod tips at night. They seemed to be fairly cheap, and would be way easy to see a bite with. I don't know how everyone else does it, but I would probably put mine on with small "braces" type rubber bands. Just an idea. Also wanted to let you know that OutLaw Crappie Poles already come with flourescent Chartreuse tips and work pretty well for Cats too! if you are interested in any, let me know.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

I use the hi-vis yellow and dont think it hampers the bite one bit. But after time the yellow will turn pale-yellow anyway. If you think it will cause problems get the white powerpro. The white will turn dirty brown if fishing muddy water.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
    Gooch, I have been a die hard Fireline user for many years. I let some people talk me into getting some Power Pro Line. It twists up on itself, and knots up much easiee than Fireline. Can't pick the knots apart, so I have ended up cutting the messes out. The Hi-Vis Moss Green is anything BUT HI-VIS! Can't see it for nothing. C- in my book. I'm going back to FL.

Shadow, if you check on Ebay, there are some small luminous light sticks that can be fastened to your rod tips at night. They seemed to be fairly cheap, and would be way easy to see a bite with. I don't know how everyone else does it, but I would probably put mine on with small "braces" type rubber bands. Just an idea. Also wanted to let you know that OutLaw Crappie Poles already come with flourescent Chartreuse tips and work pretty well for Cats too! if you are interested in any, let me know.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    I think if I wanted to place something on the tips of my rod to try it before I knew what it would be like, I think I would wrap the rod tip with some type oil cloth then try some of this highway tape they use on over the road trailer. This way you can remove if you do not like it.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Lippa Rippa ....

Moss Green PowerPro isn't supposed to be "hi vis" ... it's PowerPro's version of "camo". The "hi-vis Yellow", on the other hand, is supposed to be easily seen by the angler ... and is just a choice, among many, for those anglers that need or desire to "see" any subtle line movement. Jig caster's may prefer or need a hi-vis line, whereas a tightliner/vertical jigger may prefer or need stealth.
    Personally, I don't think line color matters much to the fish. I've caught fish on lines that were black, multicolored, white, clear/blu, chromic, red, pink, gold, grey, and various shades of green. Since line doesn't represent anything to eat, I think it is basically ignored in favor of the "offering" on the end of it.
    Is PowerPro better than Fireline ... probably not (they're different products, made from the same material ... "Spectra fibers"). Is it better than mono ... in some situations, yes. All lines have their pros & cons, and their times and places. They are, after all, one part or one tool in a collection of items used to catch fish. ..........luck2ya ..............cp

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

y e s pappy
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff