Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: (Yet another) line question

alaseswer Guest

Default (Yet another) line question

Hello everyone. I am newbie, so forgive me if this is a question already discussed elsewhere.

I've been out several times this spring and have had some success on 4# test monofilament line.

However, because of the dropping price point and the benefits, I'd like to try a superline, like Berkley Fireline

I'm doing vertical fishing mostly in reservoirs.

What strength Fireline do you recommend? I bought a spool of 6# (2# mono diam), but am thinking about exchanging it for 8# or 10#. Would there be any obvious advantage to stepping up in strength. I'm new to crappie fishing, and am still figuring out this line strength stuff.

Also, I've heard that it's helpful to start my spool with a monofilament backing and then add the fireline. How do I do that? How much mono (and what thickness) before tying on the fireline? And which knot to use?

Finally, any thoughts on green vs. pink vs. smoke?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

i have done very little veritcal fishing. However, I have fished on several occasions and noticed a difference in the number of fish caught; the only difference being 4lb test vs 6 or 8. Same color jig; same dock; same day; same color line; the only difference was the size of the line. I would be very careful in going too big with the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alaseswer
    Hello everyone. I am newbie, so forgive me if this is a question already discussed elsewhere.

I've been out several times this spring and have had some success on 4# test monofilament line.

However, because of the dropping price point and the benefits, I'd like to try a superline, like Berkley Fireline

What strength Fireline do you recommend? I bought a spool of 6# (2# mono diam), but am thinking about exchanging it for 8# or 10#. Would there be any obvious advantage to stepping up in strength. I'm new to crappie fishing, and am still figuring out this line strength stuff.

Also, I've heard that it's helpful to start my spool with a monofilament backing and then add the fireline. How do I do that? How much mono (and what thickness) before tying on the fireline? And which knot to use?

Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to the board, alaseswer

I'm only going to address part of your question as there are many super braid people in our Crappie family, with an assorted variety of opinions. I went to Power Pro "1/10" this spring (1# diameter with 10#test), so far I only have a couple of issues with it. For one it has a tendency to sometimes bury itself on a bait casting reel, number two, it's much harder for these old eyes and hands to tie. But to me the advantages of the small diameter out weigh the "old timers disease."

As for putting the mono. backing on the spool first, personally I only see one, possibly two advantages to that. One, it saves on the amount of the expensive super braid that you need to buy. Two, when you first tie a completely new line to the arbor of your spool and there is not an anchor hole in your arbor, mono has a tendency to bind (with a slip loop) to the arbor. Super braids want to slide on the arbor until they are buried with a layer or two. You can overcome this last problem by placing a small piece of electricians tape around your arbor before tieing the slip loop. The tape will give the super braid something to "bite" on. Hope I have helped and not confused.

If anyone else has a reason for putting mono on first, I'd love to hear it.
    Last edited by VietVet68; 05-25-2005 at 10:25 AM.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alaseswer

Thanks in advance!
    Personally I prefer Power Pro over fireline. But for my lighter gear I've gone back to 6lb mono (Sufix). If I was vertical jigging I'd probably use Power Pro for that but I'm rarely in waters I can do that. I did use mono backing on my B#ss poles and used a uni to uni knot to join the lines. A lot of people here swear by the Power Pro 10/1 line but I think I would have problems seeing that to tie a jig on it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Welcome to Crappie.com ......

I don't know much about Fireline ....... but I do have a med size (Bass fishing sized) spinning reel on a 8ft fly rod - that has Spiderwire 20lb on it. I use it to minnow/float fish around trees. Tied the hook on with a improved clinch knot .... didn't re-tie for a year! I have, also, recently started using PowerPro (10/2 & 8/1). The 10/2 is moss green and kinda hard to see over "green" water ..LOL!! So I got a spool of 8/1 in hi-vis yellow. (like using Stren Gold mono - without the stretch or coils). I haven't used it yet - but, I think I'm going to like it (just from "practice" in the yard).

The idea of using mono as a backing is twofold - one ... it saves money (not using so much to fill a reel) --- two ... the mono isn't as slick/stiff as the superlines/braids, so it doesn't slip on the reel arbor. (as has been mentioned) It's also a good idea to loosen up the drag setting just a tad ... at least until you get yourself trained not to set the hook as hard as you do with mono ...LOL!! As to how much - as little as a few layers wrapped around the reel spool ... to as much as 1/2 the way to the spool's edge. It just depends on the amount of line the reel spool will hold, and/or how far you intend to cast/drop it. I generally use 1/3 capacity in mono and 2/3 capacity in PowerPro. And I leave about 1/8 inch of "lip" showing on the spool (I don't fill the reel spool flush). Since I'm casting, and using a spinning reel, and the line diameter is that of 1lb or 2lb mono ... I figure I've got plenty enough line. Plus - since the PowerPro doesn't stretch or coil, it comes off the reel easily. The size of the mono backing is up to you (I just leave the "old" mono, that was already on there, as my backing ... but, any cheap or old mono will do - all you are doing is providing an anchor point for the superline to dig into, before it starts building up and filling the reel spool)

Be aware that, because of its limpness... it is possible to have some problems with the braids - breaking off the end of the pole (jerking too hard) .. wrapping the line around the tip eye (when moving the rod tip up and down while vertical jigging) .. wind knots (when casting).
    You may also want to invest in a pair of "childrens size" Fiskars scissors ... they cut braids and superlines "clean" (no crushing of the line, like with nail clippers - no "melt balls" on the end of the line, like with lighter/match/cig - and no raggedy or frayed end, like with a knife). That "clean" cut helps when you are trying to put the line thru a tiny jig/hook eye.

I tie a "improved clinch" knot - when putting a jig or hook on PowerPro or Spiderwire ...... just "test pull" it, to make sure it doesn't slip, before starting to fish with it. IF it does slip - you can rememdy that by leaving an extra long tag line, and tie a overhand knot in it ... this will slip/cinch down to the "improved clinch" knot and stop any further slippage.

To attach a braid to mono ..... I've used this method for years, without problems -- put the tag ends of both lines side by side .. then make a loop of the doubled lines, and put the tag ends thru the loop twice. Pull the tag ends and the main lines until they come together as a knot ... then trim off the two excess tag lines. There are "other" knots (with names) that are specific to tying two lines together ... but, I've never had a problem with this method (nor have I ever been "spooled", by a fish, past the knot connection).

The only positives to stepping up in strength - would be the ability to straighten out a stiff wire hook ... or land another, larger, species of fish ... LOL!! Color of the line depends on use, and whether you need to "feel" the bite or "see" the bite. With mono, and since I mostly cast, I prefer to "see" the bite (line movement) rather than feel the hit. But, with PowerPro ... I'm actually able to do both, at the same time.

Another thing to watch for ... when using superlines/braids - is DON'T try to break it or pull it free from a snag with your HAND!! It will cut you !! Wrap the line, several times, around a solid object and break or pull it free. Even though I use weedless jigs about 95% of the time ... they still get hung-up, occasionally. I've been cut by mono enough - I've learned my lesson. And these super lines will cut you even quicker. Something as simple as a 6" long piece of wood dowel rod, is fine for this. And don't use the cork or foam handle of your rod (if they have them) ... the lines will cut them, too.

Oh yeah ... you might be interested in my article on "Vertical Casting" (in the
    "Articles, Tips, & Techniques" section of this site - just click on "articles" at the top of this page). I use 6 to 7ft rods, when using this method ... but, I'm sure it would work just as well with longer rods ......... luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that about covers everything great job CP.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

alaseswer Guest

Thanks everyone for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fire Line

Welcome alaseswer.
    Sounds like CP and others give you what you need to know. I have used Vanish Transition line from Berkley some and liked it ok. The braids will cut you and are hard on reel and rod eyes but you sure can keep in touch with your bait. lol
    Today is a great day