Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creek Fishing????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Creek Fishing????

I see guys post all the time about catching crappie in these small creeks. Im not talking about the big creeks off the big lakes, but these little places, hard to get to, etc etc.

What do i need to be looking for in a creek to fish? I have seen alot the last year that lets me know there are crappies out there in unsuspecting places just waiting to be caught. Anyone got any ideas on where to start?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink WestTenn ...

Quote Originally Posted by WestTennCrappie View Post
    I see guys post all the time about catching crappie in these small creeks. Im not talking about the big creeks off the big lakes, but these little places, hard to get to, etc etc.

What do i need to be looking for in a creek to fish? I have seen alot the last year that lets me know there are crappies out there in unsuspecting places just waiting to be caught. Anyone got any ideas on where to start?
    I'd look for the same stuff, in the creek, that I'd be looking for, in any lake :

brush - deadfalls - rootwads - stumps - cliff walls with timber hanging off - adjoining creek mouths - pockets that capture floating debris - bridge pilons - wing dams - beaver huts - submerged vegetation

In other words ... anything that affords shade, cover, eddy water, or an ambush site.

... cp

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WestTennCrappie View Post

Tell you what.

If you ain't scared o snakes, I'll take you wade fishing in some creeks this coming spring if I am still alive.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I would take him up on that. He ain't even taken me and we be friends!

The Hound

Post Thanks / Like

Tom keeps threatening to take me fishing but never has. Maybe one day it will happen

Tom you gotta deal! Im plenty scared of snakes, but crazy me likes to catch crappies more than bein afraid of them snakes. So ill deal with it!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default yep

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I'd look for the same stuff, in the creek, that I'd be looking for, in any lake :

brush - deadfalls - rootwads - stumps - cliff walls with timber hanging off - adjoining creek mouths - pockets that capture floating debris - bridge pilons - wing dams - beaver huts - submerged vegetation

In other words ... anything that affords shade, cover, eddy water, or an ambush site.

... cp
    Question is, which creeks? How do I know they hold crappie? Anything connected to a river that I know has crappie in it might be good? How much depth does this creek "have" to have? If the creek is 2ft deep from start to fnish might it hold crappie? Small rivers..... Smaller rivers connected to the mississippi river here might be places to try if a person could figure them out. Muddy as heck, and got alot of current but I know they hold crappie. Dang I just want to go out and have some fun beside the same ole same ole!

Post Thanks / Like

I catch some Crappie in some of the smaller creeks around my house, but never managed to catch more than about 5 in one trip, the ones I caught were on lay-downs and where the bank is under-cut by the creek. Have caught some HUGE bass in these same creeks as well! We wade the creeks ALOT through the summer, too, TOO much fun!!
    Kevin Taylor
    20XD Bullet

Post Thanks / Like

A floating device(canoe, kayak, tube), an ultra light, and anything that has a spinner blade is deadly. We usually take along a 10' Black Widow and a tube of crickets for bream. The old "Snagless Sally" in black and yellow is great. It is larger than we would normally catch crappie on, but in the creeks, it is a winner. You will also catch a lot of bass on this lure. Cast at anything that looks like it might hold a fish and don't stay in one place long.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta tell this story about creek fishing. I had coon hunted on this creek that ran into the Uwharrie River which has good crappie fishing. Since I never went all the way down the creek to the river I wasn't sure how far it was. So my daughter 8 years old at the time decided we would walk down the creek one morning to where it intersects with the river and crappie fish. She and I and her bulldog takes off and we walk, and walk. After about two miles it seemed we arrive at the river intersection. And there sat two elderly gentlemen, astonished I asked how in the world did ya'll get all the way back in here. One pointed over toward the trees and said, "in my truck". There was a darn farm road coming in beside the cornfield off the main road. Just one of my favorite memories with my daughter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Tell you what.

If you ain't scared o snakes, I'll take you wade fishing in some creeks this coming spring if I am still alive.

Tom, you have just metioned my all time favorite way to fish. Snakes have never bothered me. I can't count the time a Moc has come towards me out of curiosity and I have given it a whack right behind its head with my rod. They don't like that at all. I used to have 36 acres with a nice creek right below the house. I would take off with one rod, a chain stringer hooked to a belt loop along with a small tackle box hooked on the other side. I'd take off and work every crack and cranny for about a mile, then turn back and do it going back to the house. Most times, that chain stringer would be doubled and tripled up with Kentuckys. This creek is very shallow with the deepest spot being about 4.5' with many gravel shoals. No crappie, but lots of bluegill and kentuckys. I used to tow one of the kids in a small blow up boat behind me. My 20 year old can still remember falling out when she was only 3. I miss that place. Was also a deer hunting paradise. Thanks for bringing the memories back.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast