Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help Please!!!!

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Please!!!!

Can someone PLEASE give me ideas? Saturday, I was out on the Mississippi River. The boat was running like a top. I stopped at one of my secret spots for a couple of hours then when I was ready to leave, the motor wouldn't start, power tilt wasn't working, almost like the battery was disconnected. I did have power to my dash and GPS though. Change batterys and still nothing. Popped the cover and found a 30 amp starter/tilt relay blown. I changed it and started right up. I went to another spot. Shut the motor off for about an hour. Then the same thing. The 30 amp relay was blown. I was out of 30's so I put a 20 in started right up and ran for the ramp 7 miles away. No more problems. Got the boat in my shop and traced every wire in the circuit. Found nothing. Put a new 30 amp relay in and took the boat out Sunday. No problems what so ever. Any suggestions? Thanks

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

OOPs, I guess I should mention its a 2004 Yamaha 90 four stroke

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

While it is somewhat rare, circuit breakers can change value. Another words they will start tripping at a lower amperage than what they are rated for. It sounds like that may be your case. I would still check for any shorted or corroded wires just to be safe. Also may sure all connections are clean and tight.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same thing happen w/ my TM circuit. 6 years no issues and on one trip about 2 years ago....bam...started blowing fuses...I traced and checked everything. Kept blowing for the next two trips and I finally changed the fuse w/ a resettable(if that's a word) breaker. No problems since and it was the same amp as the fuse. Go figure??