Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Water seperator/fuel filter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Water seperator/fuel filter

I just installed the big Yamaha filter on my 200 Evinrude. The VRO is disconnected on my boat so I have an electric fuel pump. It doesn't matter where in the fuel line I hooked mine up. But a friend wants to install one on his boat and they told him it had to go between the bulb and the motor. Is that right? It looks to me like you could hook it up anywhere in the fuel line.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldwun View Post
    I just installed the big Yamaha filter on my 200 Evinrude. The VRO is disconnected on my boat so I have an electric fuel pump. It doesn't matter where in the fuel line I hooked mine up. But a friend wants to install one on his boat and they told him it had to go between the bulb and the motor. Is that right? It looks to me like you could hook it up anywhere in the fuel line.
    Not true, it should go between the tank and the bulb. If there is any trash in the tank, you do not want it to get into the check valves in the bulb. When priming it the first time hold the primer bulb in a vertical position with the arrow pointing up. It makes it a lot easier to get the filter full.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

thumbs up on that...also might want to put it as low as you can...main thing is level with the tank....makes it much easier on the fuel pump as they work on vaccum...pulling fuel not pushing it.
    J

Post Thanks / Like

Does it really matter where you put it? Most, if not all motors have their filter inside the engine cowling after the bulb. Putting it before the bulb does make sense though.

Post Thanks / Like

I put a Racor on my boat recently. The filter should go between the bulb and the tank. The filter should be above the tank, unless you have a shutoff. When you install the filter, fill it with gas before you screw it on----saves a lot of squeezing.