Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Bed Rules?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Crappie Bed Rules?

Can anyone tell me what the legalities are about putting down crappie beds in Indiana?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sutton
    Can anyone tell me what the legalities are about putting down crappie beds in Indiana?
    I don't know about INdiana, but I have been told numerous times by the same game warden here in Kentucky that it was illegal. All the while the bubbles were still rising from the brush, just pushed over board.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I was told by the Indiana DRN Fisheries Biologist for District 7 that I would have to get permission from the DNR Property Manager before putting crappie condoes in some of the Stripper Pits around here. And he warned me that the answer would most likely be no!

Not sure what the other Indiana DNR Fish and Wildlife Property Managers have to say about installing condos on the other Indiana Lake Properties. I would call your districk DNR office and ask.

Patoka Lake is chock full of submerged trees and has much brush still along the old creek channels and some of the old ditches. So putting out fish condo is not really that necessary.

I do know that some talk about installing hidden brush piles at Patoka Lake. I guess they just went ahead and did it or else got special permission to put them in the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sutton
    Regards,

Moose1am

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie bed rules

would,nt it be better not to ask and don,t tell ?
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Beds-Indiana

I just got off the phone with DNR Officer in LaPorte County. He checked on somethings and found out if we want to do it that we need to send a letter to:

Indiana Department of Natural Resources
    Technical Services
    402 W. Washington St.
    Room W 264
    Indianapolis, IN 46204

The letter needs the following: write in detail what you are wanting to do, size, what lake, where in the lake, intent for it, depth. A diagram and picture of what you are making would be good. It will take 4-6 weeks to get a reply. Their letter of response would serve as a permit if they approve it.

They just don't want people putting in tires and things. He seems positive that a permit could be had but he'd never known of someone trying to get one.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike .. The reason he want's to know,The size, What lake, Where in the lake, The intent (for crappie), and the depth, is After you set them out and come back a couple of weeks later, He be setting there catching your fish ...hehe...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beds

Thanks Moose, I agree we need more structure. We probably need to band together to see some installed.