Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for veteran anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for veteran anglers

I have recently discovered crappie, by accident! I caught my first crappie, black type I think, two weeks ago, using bee moth and bobber, just letting the line sit. Second one I caught with bee month while letting the line float while the boyfriend was rowing us accross the water. Now, as it makes the boyfriend really, really happy when I pull one of these in (he hasn't caught any in this lake yet) I would like to catch them on purpose! Any tips?
    Karla:D

Post Thanks / Like

Fish around wood structure, brush piles, docks, standing tmber and use jigs and or minnows droping the bait into the thermoclime, now about 10 feet down. Will be deeper and the warms warms and shallower later in the fall. Good luck and welcome to the flock. Pick up a crappie magazine or two and read about the sport.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by New2crappie
    I have recently discovered crappie, by accident! I caught my first crappie, black type I think, two weeks ago, using bee moth and bobber, just letting the line sit. Second one I caught with bee month while letting the line float while the boyfriend was rowing us accross the water. Now, as it makes the boyfriend really, really happy when I pull one of these in (he hasn't caught any in this lake yet) I would like to catch them on purpose! Any tips?
    Yep, to start I would recommend just what Bruce said, get you some minnows and corks/bobbers and some small gold fish hooks.....put a small split-shot about two feet or so above the hook, find some trees sticking up out of the water in about 15 - 25 ft would probably be a good place to start......tie your boat off to the tree, not too tight and set them minnows over the edge and let them down maybe 4 - 5 ft to start....if you don't get any bites, try letting out another foot or so....and continue.

IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER, crappie feed looking up, so don't start off TOO deep, if you do you will miss the bite completely.....start off shallow and work your way down.....

You can either hook the minnow through both lips or through the eyes, either way works pretty well.

Another technique using the same setup would be to pull up near some boat docks and cast into the shaded areas with that minnow, let it sit......reel it in just a little.....let it sit.....reel it in a little more....let it sit, until you get it back to the boat, then do that again.....CONCENTRATE ON THE SHADY AREAS!!!

Good luck and welcome!
    Last edited by GABoy; 05-24-2005 at 09:04 AM.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys!! There is not a dock where we go, but lots and lots of trees in the water (which Tom (aka: the boyfriend) always makes sure we gravitate to anyway. He has been fishing since he could say fish, and I am pretty new to the sport. He will be quite impressed when I catch one on purpose!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Yeap,

What GABoy said. You can't ask for a better way to relax than sitting on a brush pile or standing timber catching crappie,or white perch,or specks, or slabs. Just depends on where your from. I like to call them dinner. :

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

you might give moose 1am or larry southern in. a shout they are in your neck of the woods best be a fast reader for moose lol
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I had forgotten just how relaxing fishing can be. I hadn't put a line in the water for 18 years when I started dating Tom ( he could lose every limb he has and still figure out how to cast a line!) Now, after a 50 hour week, it's me that says, lets go fishin'!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishpro67
    Yeap,

What GABoy said. You can't ask for a better way to relax than sitting on a brush pile or standing timber catching crappie,or white perch,or specks, or slabs. Just depends on where your from. I like to call them dinner. :
    I hear ya about some dinner!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billbob
    best be a fast reader for moose lol

Hee hee....too funny!!

But, he has so much information it isn't even funny.
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by New2crappie
    I agree. I had forgotten just how relaxing fishing can be. I hadn't put a line in the water for 18 years when I started dating Tom ( he could lose every limb he has and still figure out how to cast a line!) Now, after a 50 hour week, it's me that says, lets go fishin'!

Keep at it!!!

Let us know how you do.
    ><)))*>

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast