Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville turnover...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville turnover...

Has the lake started to turn over?

Post Thanks / Like

Found this kind of explains it some. Hope it helps.

As the days get shorter and cooler, and energy is transported away from/out of the lake, mixing becomes easier. At about 50de, the cooler water (with a higher oxygen content) at the surface begins to sink into and through the thermocline, forcing warmer and less dense water to the surface, eventually erasing the temperature stratification built up over the summer. At some point, the majority of the water in the lake reaches an approximately uniform temperature. Now, storms and sustained high winds can begin to perform the task of overturning and mixing all of the water in the lake -- referred to as fall turnover. The deep water contains an abundance of decaying matter and sulfurous gases; when it reaches the surface, it produces a telltale odor that indicates the process has begun. Eventually the turnover mixes fresh oxygen into the entire lake mass, replenishing the deep waters with the life-giving stuff and cleansing the sulfurous fumes from the water, allowing fish to return to the depths where they will spend the winter months. Jim C.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim C. Very good information!
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Ya great info!!
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

I went catfishing by the free ramp thur.
    We got over 2 inches of rain,little platte was atleast 3-4' up,water rushing to much to even try fishing the river.

I'm guessing with all that cold water rushing in,its well on its way to turn over-lots of mud and leaves washing in also.

Caught about 2 doz.,nothing huge but a few were 5-6#,most about 2#,all channels,not 1 blue.(worthless post w/o pics...I know)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    I went catfishing by the free ramp thur.
    We got over 2 inches of rain,little platte was atleast 3-4' up,water rushing to much to even try fishing the river.

I'm guessing with all that cold water rushing in,its well on its way to turn over-lots of mud and leaves washing in also.

Caught about 2 doz.,nothing huge but a few were 5-6#,most about 2#,all channels,not 1 blue.(worthless post w/o pics...I know)
    Hey Cook, do you catch many blues in Smithville? I also enjoy catfishing and wondered if you catch any good blues in the Fall or Winter.