Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Tennessee Crappie Fishing w/pics

Post Thanks / Like

Default West Tennessee Crappie Fishing w/pics

As more and more time goes by, the more I seem to be talking myself into doin some local riverbed small lake fishing. I have always been able to get up and go to Reelfoot any day of the week, anytime I got ready.

But this year there will be more constraints on my time, so I figure I need to use it wisely. Besides, the sloughs here off the Mississippi River are well known for BIG crappie. Just seems people dont fish them much anymore. Im gonna start!

We set out about noon to hard to get spot off the river known for BIG crappie. Fished the standing timber in about 3ft of weater for an hour with only one bite. Moved in on the bank in some brush and caught 2 (white crappie) in about 18 inches of water. One of them was the biggest you see in the pic, just over 1lb. Wind was touch int he little 12ft boat so we got off the water.

Headed towards the bluff to a small spring fed clear water lake to try our luck there. Got there around 5:30pm and found fish immediately. Quit at 6:30 with a total of 40 (black crappie). Throwin jigs in about 12ft of water.

A few of these found there way into my belly within 3 hours from being pulled out of the lake. Hope you enjoy the before and after photo!

S6301107-1.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

S6301108.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. Good feeling when you find them like that.

kycreek is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job and nice catch!!!

Fatman

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good pics, got to love the after photos.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

APPEARS YOU HAD A GOOD OUTING AND A GOOD MEAL AS WELL.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch. Have the asian carp infested the lakes your talking about yet or are they landlocked out of the flood plain? The carp have gotten into the oxbows along the mississippi here in west kentucky and seems like fish are really hard to come by now. Maybe I just gave up to quick, but I know some guys have stayed after them and know these lakes well and have had a hard time catching any. I fish Kentucky Lake mainly now and love it, but like you I miss having the option of skulling the john boat around 15 minutes from the house in pursuit of BIG crappie. Some of the biggest I've caught and a few that got away were on this one oxbow. In fact it was where I really went off the deep end and got hooked on chasing slabs.
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking catch!

Post Thanks / Like

Default yep

Quote Originally Posted by pab1981 View Post
    Nice catch. Have the asian carp infested the lakes your talking about yet or are they landlocked out of the flood plain? The carp have gotten into the oxbows along the mississippi here in west kentucky and seems like fish are really hard to come by now. Maybe I just gave up to quick, but I know some guys have stayed after them and know these lakes well and have had a hard time catching any. I fish Kentucky Lake mainly now and love it, but like you I miss having the option of skulling the john boat around 15 minutes from the house in pursuit of BIG crappie. Some of the biggest I've caught and a few that got away were on this one oxbow. In fact it was where I really went off the deep end and got hooked on chasing slabs.
    That is exactly the same for me. I fished for crapipe all my life but never really got into chasing them like I do now untill I caught a few 3lb (or close to it) crappie from a few holes.

As a matter of fact we saw the carp jump a few times out there. We had a few jump close to us and we were not even motoring. Its everyone's sad story these days about these asian carp overtaking our waters. And it really is a sad story. Fishing jsut isnt what it used to be.

But I catch plenty at Reelfoot to keep in my freezer to eat, and fish enough to eat fresh fish at least once a week, so im gonna start trying these places again. No need to worry about the carp, untill they find an answer to the problem then its a waste of our time to worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like

great catch! Even better eats!
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast