Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: longline trollers

Post Thanks / Like

Default longline trollers

do you guys that mostly longline troll small jigs use the same rods that the spider riggin guys use or much lighter action? i need a set of rods to longline with and i been thinking about 8,10,12 and 14 for length. i like to use spinning reels with 6 lb. test line. what do you guys suggest for rods? thanks for the help.

yodi
    Yodibuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yodibuzz View Post
    do you guys that mostly longline troll small jigs use the same rods that the spider riggin guys use or much lighter action? i need a set of rods to longline with and i been thinking about 8,10,12 and 14 for length. i like to use spinning reels with 6 lb. test line. what do you guys suggest for rods? thanks for the help.

yodi
    You can use rods that were made for spider rigging. That is what I would recommend anyway. They have good sensitive tips and the strong backbone of the heavier rods will help You get the crappie up to the top so You can ski him over your other lines if you need to.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I use sorta limber rods when trolling because a stiff rod will not give enough and could tear out of the crappie's papermouth but not too light that the long rods will bend too much while bringing end a big one. I use to use a couple of stiffer rods but I would loose more fish on those than limber ones. I would try to keep about the same kind of rod through out the set so the bow of all rods will be the same this will help you tell a difference if one picks up trash or is not pulling correctly. I hope this helps.

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default BnM PRO STAFF

I use BnM Pro Staff for tightline and long line trolling. These poles are sensitive enough for long line trolling and have enough backbone to handle 1/2 to 1 oz weights for tightline or spider rigging. The Pro staffs are available in 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, and coming soon 18 and 20 ft.

Check out our site, we have competetive prices on thes poles.

Monk Welcome to MonksCrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer BnM BGJP 10,12,14,16 for longlining jigs. I use the Capps and Coleman for tightlining. These rods are similar but with small differences that help with each techinque.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

BnM ProStaff or Wally Marshall Signature Series for longline trolling or titelining with 1.5 ounces of lead or less. The ProStaffs have a little softer tip.

Wally Marshall Titeline Special for titelining with 2 or more ounces of lead or pulling crank baits.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

I have been long line trolling for a very long time. I use a few different rods, but started out using a short ultra-lite rod made by Falcon and some pretty normal light action rods. About 8 years ago I got some 10' rods (B&M Buck's Ultimate super stiff, don't know why they are called super stiff because I sure them for everything) and started using them. I wanted something to get my line farther away from my main motor prop and that helped a lot. I then picked up a WM Pro Series 10' and then a 12'. After that I added one more that is a Pro Angler 10' and I bought it because it was where I was and a good price, LOL!

Main thing is for the guy up front running the TM you need to keep your line on the same side the wind is coming from so the back of the boat stays away from your line. Don't set your drag so tight that it will not give if a good one gets on. I usually turn my boat around on a good one as to not pull to hard on him. Small ones I just reel in and keep going.

If you get the 10' poles you should be able to use them trolling, fishing brush piles, standing timber or most any thing other than dock shooting. I would not skimp on the price as you can get WM pro Series pretty cheap each year they go on sale when the new ones come out.

I looked up my two B&M rods the other day looking for a tip on my 3rd one (forgot to mention it) and they were now up to about $70 and not like the lower cost rods. Don't know what you can get them for on sale or if they go on sale, but found them at Cabala's. If my memory serves me I they were like $45 or $49 when I bought mine. I think the WM are like $55-65 now and I got mine a couple years ago on sale for a little over $30, like maybe $32. Anyway I would buy one of them B&M rods that are real low cost. Look at their site for comparing them and Cabela's has the ones like mine and Bass Pro Doesn't.

Sometime I use 6# mono or Copolymer line, but mostly use Power Pro Braid.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys i think i ll check out the b&m jp
    Yodibuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I just wrote an article in the new Crappie Master mag. on this subject. It goes into detail on long line trolling. It was actually written by Tim Huffman. We were on Ky. Lake during this trip.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds good
    when will it be on the news stand?
    Yodibuzz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast