Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your rod/reel setups

Post Thanks / Like

Default What are your rod/reel setups

I've been looking at one of the Pflueger underspin combos but have never used an underspin reel before. Anybody ever use these? I'm curious, what are your preferred rod/reel combos? I mainly use spinning reels but have used spincast too on occasion. My favorite right now is a little Quantum ultralight rod/reel that I picked up from Cabelas. I have 6lb stren on it and like the way it feels.
    There's nothing like feeling that THUMP...FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

I like a 5'-6" light action rod and a smaller reel, not the real small reels like the ultra-lites, but the next size or two bigger than that. Now I'm using the shimano 1000 and 1500. I think I get a lot better casting from the little larger spool and I don't have to change line as often due to break offs. I use 6# stren most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

right now i'm using a 6'6 bass pro fiberglass ultra light rod.
    It's the bright yellow ones, can't remember the name.

I use the bass pro shop brand trigger spin reel, tiny lite and 6lb test.

it's good for casting and verticle jigging.
    very limber.

my other verticle jigging rod is a wally marshall 7'0 mighty light.
    very light.
    If you think there isn't a God, you better be right!

Post Thanks / Like

I have 8 of the Pfleuger President spinning reels. Great reel and smooth as butter. 10 bearing reel w/ spare spool for $59 at most shops. Compared to the Quantum Energy PTi and found that I prefered the President. Have many different sizes to choose from as well. Worth a check out if you're in the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightin rods med-light with abu-garica 101s&102s good combo's that don;t break the budget

Post Thanks / Like

I have 8 rods that range from 5'6" - 10'6" and all of them have Quantum PTI kenetics on them except for one. My 6'6" has a pfleguer president on it. I like both reels, like jeepster said very smooth and both reels are very dependable.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 1806 Pfleuger underspin paired with a 9' Wally Marshall Pro Series rod & 8# Power Pro.
    This I mostly catch small bass on though, say 15" or so- caught a 20" catfish once too. Its held-up nicely I dont get any "pin catches" like I got with a Daiwa underspin 80 size. I throw mostly nightccrawlers no weight, and get nice distance. Its also lighter than the Daiwa.
    My newest set-up is a St Croix Avid 8' med light mod rod with a Shimano Stradic 1000 spinning reel.
    Iv fished with both at the same time and this is what Ive noticed
    About the only difference that I feel benefits the Pflu underspin over the Stradic is the trigger. Im left handed I cast with my left and retrieve with the rod in my left hand. Basically, say sight fishing, using the trigger is faster for me & maybe a slight more accurate.

One more thing Ill mention is the use of a line treatment if pairing braid with a closed-type reel "underspin" in this case. I use Real-Magic but there are others -KVD. There is a coating on braid that rubs off and gunks up the area around the pin causes poor casting and hard to reel-in but with one qiuck little spray of the treatment and its good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbone View Post
    right now i'm using a 6'6 bass pro fiberglass ultra light rod.
    It's the bright yellow ones, can't remember the name.

I use the bass pro shop brand trigger spin reel, tiny lite and 6lb test.

it's good for casting and verticle jigging.
    very limber.

my other verticle jigging rod is a wally marshall 7'0 mighty light.
    very light.
    I like these rods as well. I belive ther called MicroLite. For casting I prefer the 5'6" as it balances better with a small reel. I too prefer triggerspin reels. Ease of use and good feel.

Post Thanks / Like

I have and use 8 pflugers on a 5ft. dock shooter to a 11ft. jig pole I really like them and only know of one fault to the ones I use. if they get dipped in the lake they are hard to real, and I mean real hard to real. let them dry for a while or remove the line spool and crank the dickens out of them and they seem to get better lots of cranking though, and dont always want to waste time cranking on a tight reel. keep a couple extras just in case. the yellow rod from BPS. look a hole lot like the old eagle claw rods and I think they are eagle claw with BPS brand name now. not sure just think so.

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle I remember those yellow eagle claws! I had one when I was growing up in Colorado, used it for trout fishing. Those were some good rods. If I didn't have enough rod/reels to open my own tackle shop I'd get me one again!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast