Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Weed guard jigs?

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Weed guard jigs?

I just bought a pack of 1/16th with the single wire guard. Anything special to know about using them? Does the guard cause you to miss a lot of strikes?

thanks,

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

thats all i use dont loose any fish

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Hey Dayton ...

I was never much of a fan of single wire weedless jigheads, since the single wire is usually a bit stiffer than what I preferred. I also had my doubts about it being all that weedless, seeing as how that single wire could allow the jig's hookpoint to come in contact with any cover surface that I dragged it over.

After using Grousefly's "Y" guard style, and brush guard style, jigheads ... I've never wanted for any others. :D

Here's what they look like :

Top jig is the brush style ... quite common, and mfg'd by many.
    Bottom jig is the Y guard style ... my favorite and not so common.

I've had no trouble with either of these, as far as the guards interferring with the hook penetration, or being the cause of lost fish. I'm using UL to Lite action rods (5ft to 7ft) and 4lb test mono ... and it's a rare occasion for a strike not to result in a hookup.

The only advice I can give, as far as the single wire type of weedless jig .... is to always make sure that the wire is pointed straight and in-line with the hook point !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I usually trim the wire guard to where it just covers the tip of the hook. That is if they go past it.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I always bend the end of the wire down at a 90 degree angle near the hook point for two reasons. It seems to have less drag when it is pushed down when setting the hook, as the bend makes it round.Last but certainly not least, the bend keeps you from driving that wire under your finger nail when you are all excited and adding a new grub body on a cold morning, after you have just caught a NICE SLAB CRAPPIE...lol. Been there, done that, bought that t-shirt and wore it out...lol....and didn't like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I routinely use 1/8 single wire jigs w 4" straight tail worms for bass in clear water around vegetation.
    Even with braid and a short leader, its sometimes hard to feel the 1/16 in deep water. And feeling the jig is REAL important in fishing cover.
    For walleye I use the Y guard in 1/8 and 3/16 which I feel is superior for rocks and timber.

I'm not a fan of the brush guards.

The best brush guard is a light wire hook!

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon it's all in what you get used to.

I prefer the single-wire weedless jighead and use it almost exclusively...especially when probing brush piles. I mean, with light, light line, what else can be expected when using a naked hook other than multiple hang-ups??????

I don't have problems with missing hook sets because of the weedless jighead.

I prefer a 1/8th oz unless the bite is really finiky and then I may drop to a 1/16th with 4 lb test...but it's gotta be weedless for me!

When I drift fish, I use willow-leaf Road Runners alot. If they made 'em weedless, I'd buy 'em...but they don't.

Now, get you a couple of cards of jigheads, paint 'em up and have a blast gettin' after the soon-to-be fall frenzy!

aj