Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what would u guys do?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what would u guys do?

i could have shot a doe today that was less than 20 yards from me but she had a tiny fawn with her so i passed her up.the fawn was only about 40lbs or so .so i let them go they didnt even have a clue that i was there and had my bow in my hand about to draw and shoot.i was in a ameristep ground blind the doe would look towards me but stayed in the same spot for about 4 minutes.so what would u guys do?

Post Thanks / Like

You did the right thing IMHO. I never shoot a doe with fawns that have not been weened yet. I just don't think they have a very good chance to live until at least the spots are completely gone and traveling without their momma.....

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't have shotten her either, however I read an article a yr or two back stating that when the rut begins, the buck tending the doe will run the fawn off anyway. Don't know if that is true or not however I have never seen a buck running a doe AND a fawn at the same time..LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Man I can't shoot does with fawns either. I'm a BIG TIME softy when it comes to fawns. The one and only time I ever use the word "cute" is when I'm talkin about fawns or ducklings. So I'll say it: I think they're too cute to shoot :o. I have let lots of does walk because of that. Honestly, I enjoy watching them and seeing how they interact as much as I do shooting one. They are very much like a human mother and child. The fawn is usually carelessly running around and nosing in the bushes while the doe is paying attention to everything. All that to say, I think you did the right thing because you went with what you felt was the right decision.

My honest opinion on the matter though, and this is just my opinion, is that I don't see anything wrong with shooting either the doe or fawn or both of them. They are all deer in the herd as far a nature is concerned. So if you had come on here with pictures of a dead doe and fawn and told that story, I would have still congratulated you. I might draw some nasty remarks for saying that, but that's just the way I see it.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

I too have passed on deer when the fawn appears to still be dependent on the momma. Good for you.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I always let them both go too. I figure if you kill mama then bambi is coyote bait. I always feel bad if I shoot a button buck that I thought was a doe also.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Be patient Grasshopper!:D There's plenty more deer to shoot at.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

He didn't say the fawn had spots. By October the yearlings are big enough and old enough to eat normal food. the only reason the fawn would be nursing is because the doe was still letting her. There is no reason why it would be wrong to kill either one of them. the dnr sets the season so that you don't kill a doe with a fawn too young to survive. I understand the sentimental part of it, but if you kill the doe, the fawn will just join the next group it finds...as will the doe if you take the fawn. the post was from Tennessee, which probably has a lot of fawns around 40-50 lbs. Here in Illinois, ours weigh around 75-100. don't feel bad about shooting either one, but it's OK if you don't. Just remember, almost EVERY smaller antlerless deer you see alone in November is a button buck, so watch closely.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been on both sides of this situation during my years of hunting. Today I wouldn't have a problem shooting the doe with a young deer, done it before early in the season and would do it again. I understand why a person wouldn't want to shoot a doe in that situation, because there was a time that I felt that way. I think a lot of peole grew up not having the number of deer to hunt as we now do. I can remember only having 1 week for rifle season and only having about 2 days a person could even shoot a doe. In those days I would pass on a deer in that situation because it was best for the deer population. These days are very different, shooting a deer in that situation will hardly have an effect on the population. When I have taken a doe in that situation I always end up seeing the young deer multiple times through the rest of the seasons, usually paired up with some other does or even a young buck. They are old enough to easily survive on their own.
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

you brought up a good point. The dnr ENCOURAGES us to harvest more does. here in illinois, I'm sure you've heard of the golden triangle, big bucks, blah, blah ,blah. the lease ground is tying up what used to huntable. they now say a doe is harvested for every 375 acres of ground tied up to lease. everyone that comes here wants to kill a big buck and won't shoot the does. or at least not enough does. I live in central IL. out on the prairie and we are just now getting numbers of deer. we have always had a few REALLY big deer, but just not the numbers. I now have a spot that the owner told me, if I don't kill enough, he wants a nuisance permit as soon as the season is over to reduce damage next year. I would MUCH rather kill a doe and fawn now, rather than wait until Feb. and kill them carrying next years crop of fawns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast