PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a rod

MNJeff
10-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Hello everyone.

I joined a while ago but haven't posted much. This year I've fished a little bit using a 14ft cane pole from shore. Well I've come to like this type of fishing, simple yet fun. However the main problem with this setup is you can't get your rig out very far. Also I would love to try using some lures, jigs, small spinners, small crankbaits, etc. Because of this I've been thinking of upgrading to a rod and reel setup.

So I'm wondering what would be the best rod to get. I was looking at Falcon Ultralight rods in the 4'6" and 5'6" models. However I've seen some rods with a longer cork handle, these are for vertical fishing correct? I would like a rod that can handle multiple uses. I would like to use jigs, inline spinners, and crankbaits. However I would also use it for bobber fishing with live bait or jigs. There are a few docks and other areas that I can vertical fish off of also.

Should I go with a longer rod? or can I accomplish my tasks with a short rod?

I apologize for such a long post but I'm just really confused. Any advice you can provide will be much appreciated.

wasabi
10-19-2008, 04:06 PM
A longer rod will let you cast further. I have several 5' 4" rods I absolutely love for jigging but they don't cast very far. Fortunately I'm going most of my fishing from a boat. For a single bank rod I'd go for a medium length rod about 6'.

NoMinners
10-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Jigging right beside the boat? I use a 5ft. Falcon rod, MADE IN USA, great quality rod. 100 percent graphite, very sensitive. I live the Falcon rods. The also feature Fuji guides. You will pay for it but, you will not by another for a long time.

deathb4disco
10-19-2008, 04:54 PM
If you're fishing from shore, a longer rod will help in a variety of ways: longer casting, better hook-setting, better control of the fish. I fish from shore the majority of the time and mostly use 12' rods.

Perch Jerker35
10-19-2008, 05:38 PM
I personally like rods about 6-7', nothing shorter than 5'6". I have a 6' ML rod that has 15# braid on it that is my do-all rod. From bream to bass to crappie to stripers to catfish, it is always with me. It is a Rapala rod that I got at Target believe it or not. Dont laugh though. It has caught a PILE of fish. I would look into the Daiwa Spinmatic series. They are not expensive, and they come in a wide variety of sizes.

PJ35

Perch Jerker35
10-19-2008, 05:42 PM
And not I am NOT throwing small jigs or anything, the smallest I use would be about a 1/16oz. I use it alot for bass and crappie rigs also, stuff that require 1/4 - 1/2 oz of weight. If you want to throw small jigs or vertical jig, get about a 9 or 10 foot Bass Pro Shops Wally Marshal Universal Series rod. I like the 10' for tightlining with 1/2 oz weight, but you can get pretty small with it. If you want to throw absolutely ITY BITY jigs, get a BPS Wally Marshal Mighty lite in the 7 or 8' version.

PJ35

CrappieHound
10-19-2008, 05:44 PM
If you want a rod that can do all of the above and handle the occasional 4lb. bass that will hit your roadrunner...did I say roadrunner, forget that, then I would go with a 6'6 Crappie Wizard pole. I have two and I would love to have two more because everyone that fishes with me can't keep up so I loan them my other one for the days fishing. It will outcast just about any rod out there and it is durable plus a good backbone for fighting those 4lb. green carp. :D

I would call Lance at Grizzly Jig. He should have them or can tell you where you can. You can go to grizzlyjig.com for their number.

Oh yeah, the price isn't bad either. I think $35.00

You won't be disaapointed.

The Hound

CrappieHound
10-19-2008, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't recommend a 9-10 ft. pole for what you described. They take a lot of room to cast and you give up casting accuracy as well. IMHO

The Hound

kycreek
10-19-2008, 05:59 PM
I have one of the crappie wizards and I like it also.

MAINEIAC
10-19-2008, 06:15 PM
I use a 7 1/2 ft Bass Pro Shop ultra lite with a Shimano 2500 Symetre reel. Works great. The rod is on sale quite often for $29.95 & the reel is on sale at Dicks for $59.95 right now.

CrappieHound
10-19-2008, 07:00 PM
I made a mistake on the length of that crappie wizard, it's 7 1/2 foot. I knew that sounded funny when I typed it. Go to the website I posted above. They have them.

The Hound

shipahoy41
10-19-2008, 07:05 PM
6.5 Ugly Stick medium action

feelay
10-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Here in mississippi, I like to cast for crappie with a float and jig. I use 8' 6" and 9' 6" rods from Bass pro-BPS float-n-fly. These give good length for casting distance and hookset with good action tip for wiggling that float to give a jig action. They often are on sale for 29.95 regular price 39.95.

SpeckWick
10-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Anything from BnM is tough to beat. I'd try the 7' Sam Heaton Super Sensitive for what you are looking for. I use 10' and 12' Sam Heatons from the boat and they are the best I've used, but from the bank as someone mentioned, they could be a bit long. The 7' would give you a little length for casting, and still have the sensitivity to feel those light taps when you are jigging. They have plenty backbone to handle the occasional bass or cat. I have caught 10 plus pound hybrid stripers, catfish and carp on my 10' and 12' with no problems, so I know the 7' will handle them. The 7' would work well for casting floats also. Go to BNM Fishing (http://www.bnmpoles.com) and look at their multipurpose rods. They also have the Crappie Wizard rods CrappieHound mentioned. My fishing partner has a couple of those and we argue as to which is better, so they are likely just as good. Tough to go wrong either way.

bulldog007
10-20-2008, 08:03 AM
I have 2 berkley ultralite lighting rods, a medium action lighiting rod, a ultralight uglystick and a medium action uguly stick I am using now. However I am also new at this so I do not know how the poles I have listed above would compair to the Wally Marshal, B&M, Basspro or the other poles. What say youall? I am always looking to improve. I need all the help I can get.

crappiencali
10-20-2008, 09:21 AM
I normally use a 10' Ozark rods for jigging, but I use a 6'6" G-loomis and a 7' Ozark rod for casting all kinds of baits.

MNJeff
10-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm still researching various rods to see which one is best for me.

I have a question though regarding the Crappie Wizard rods from BnM. On the site it doesn't list line or lure ratings for the rod. Does anyone know the ratings or where I can find them?

CrappieHound
10-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Went out to the boat and got it out and it doesn't have a spec. for lure size. It says
7"6' 2 piece, IM7 rod. I can't attest to how big a bait it will throw. I throw roadrunners and slip cork rigs with mine and it is fantastic. I do know however know that a buddy hooked and landed a 4# bass on it two weeks ago. I'm sure some of the other rods in this thread are really good rods but I far as am concerned for the type of fishing I use it for it exceeds all my expectations.

The Hound

robbor
10-27-2008, 06:09 PM
I like my sam heaton 7'. Longer rods do fine with heavier weights, for light stuff i had alot of line stiction with my 12' rods. At time i even break out the 30" with spring bobber when im going vertical and its windy or im after dinks for bait.

CrappiePappy
10-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm still researching various rods to see which one is best for me.
I have a question though regarding the Crappie Wizard rods from BnM. On the site it doesn't list line or lure ratings for the rod. Does anyone know the ratings or where I can find them?

I have a 7ft Bionic Blade IM8 ... weight= 1/4-1/2oz line size= 4lb-12lb test
I have a 8ft BnM Duckworth FnF rod IM6 ... line size= 4-8lb test
I would think that a IM7 rod would handle the whole range, between these two ... depending on the action of the rod.

I wouldn't go with a rod any shorter than 6ft, for the multi-purpose range that you mentioned. Even from shore, a 7 or 8ft rod will allow you to cast farther, and with all the baits & rigs you mentioned. If you have overhanging obstacles, that prevent an overhead cast ... learn to cast sidearm ;)

Get whatever rod brand that suits your fancy (& your budget) ... then match it up with a spinning reel that balances the outfit. If the reel has a large spool (wide or long), it will help with your casting distance with light weights, over a UL sized reel (or small spool type). Again, brand/model is your choice, but just make sure it balances with the rod. A balanced rod/reel outfit will perform better, and be much more comfortable to use. It also helps prevent fatigue (wrist/arm/shoulder) by not being tip or butt heavy.

... cp :cool:

CrappieHound
10-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Good post, pappy.

The Hound

1weezer
10-27-2008, 11:03 PM
The 7 1/2 foot Crappie Wizard pole is one of my signature poles. You can cast, troll, or vertical jig with this pole. Plus they have a one year warranty on it. pm me if you have any questions.
Thanks
Weezer

Jeepster04
10-28-2008, 12:14 AM
MNJeff, I did the same type of fishing back in my preboat days and used several different types of shorter rods (ugly stick lites, falcon, shimano). Met a guy who showed me the 9' Wally Marshall Pro Series rods. Went and bought one and never looked back. Paired it up with a small Pfleuger President spinning reel and it served every purpose. Casted light 1/16 oz jigs twice as far as any other rod and reel that I ever tried. Used 4-6 lb test. Now I have 5 of them in different lengths and do not own another type of jig rod. Should cost you around $120 for the set.

robbor
10-28-2008, 12:46 AM
I bought one BPS rod and some of their spinnerbaits way back, horrible junk.
If you want a rod that is already to heavy then they tell you you need to add a few ounces of weight to to get sensitivity, pure junk and lies. I hate the power hump also.

CrappieSchocker
10-28-2008, 01:33 AM
Daiwa spinmatic 7'6" great rod cheap price

JusFshn
10-28-2008, 05:01 AM
This is my favorite one in the rod locker... 7' G Loomis with a Quantum Energy reel... I can get you the model # of both if you need... Rod is rated for 2-6 pound test 1-32 - 3/16 oz

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh138/DKEEBLE/11-20-2007-04.jpg

We throw alot of 1/32-1/16oz jigs around here though.. Works well for that type of fishing.. It's hard to put a finger on just one rod since fishing is like golf in the sense that you need different club/rod&reel for each application for optimum performance. You can tee off with a putter but you will have poor results compared to a 1 wood. Good luck in your adventures

crappiencali
10-28-2008, 05:45 AM
Jusfshn I have that model in the 6'6" and love it. You can cast alomost any sized jig, spinner, etc great distances and if you fish for green carp it makes for a great drop shot rod. Heck I may have to try drop shottin for crappie with it this winter.

CrappieHound
10-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Weezer,

Love the rods...I have (2) 7"6' and (4) 10".

The Hound

1weezer
10-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Weezer,

Love the rods...I have (2) 7"6' and (4) 10".

The Hound

Glad you like them CrappieHound. The 10 foot is my favorite.

Cane Pole
10-28-2008, 04:14 PM
I got a house full of Weezer rods. Along with my expert fisin skills, the work pretty good.;)

pab1981
10-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Thinkin about ordering some of the 10 ft Wizards for vertical jigging(which I know they will be fine) and for spider rigging. I sometimes push up to 1oz rigs with jigs/minnows, were they designed for this type of use or would I be better off to get 1 to jig with and a different type for the heavyweight stuff?

CrappieHound
10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
I've had 1 oz. weights on mine, they have some bend in em' but most poles will. If you're fishing deep water 10's should do you good. Skinny water and your'e going to want to probably move to 12's to get away from the trolling motor. IMHO

The Hound

pab1981
10-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks Hound, your probably right about the skinny water, which I don't rig in often. I have 3 assorted 12' rods I use right now but thinking about switching to 10's because I don't think the tips will bounce as bad in windy/high traffic conditions. I was also thinkin pretty hard about just going to the 7.5' wizards for rigging to be honest with you. I fish from an aluminum deep-v and if there's a lot of boats zooming in and out and all around(which anyone that fishes Kentucky Lake knows is about all the time), I have a real hard time with rods bobbing(I think that is the biggest culprit for not catching fish pushing). I've done some experimenting with 6 and 7 footers for rigging and they definitely are more stable and still catch fish, but I'm not sure if I'll be better off with the 7.5's or the 10's.

1weezer
11-01-2008, 10:15 PM
pab1981,
The 7.5 footers will be fine if your not in real shallow water. If you are in shallow water, you would be better off with the longer poles so you can get the baits away from the boat.

CrappieHound
11-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Weezer would be the real man to know. I haven't used 7.5 footers. That would be too close for "me" but with your circumstances, you are right, they should bounce less. I saw where weezer sold his 12 footers to go with 10's. It is just a matter of choice and whatever you feel comfortable with. As long as it catches fish, I don't care if it is a cane pole.

The Hound