Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a rod

MNJeff Guest

Default Help me pick a rod

Hello everyone.

I joined a while ago but haven't posted much. This year I've fished a little bit using a 14ft cane pole from shore. Well I've come to like this type of fishing, simple yet fun. However the main problem with this setup is you can't get your rig out very far. Also I would love to try using some lures, jigs, small spinners, small crankbaits, etc. Because of this I've been thinking of upgrading to a rod and reel setup.

So I'm wondering what would be the best rod to get. I was looking at Falcon Ultralight rods in the 4'6" and 5'6" models. However I've seen some rods with a longer cork handle, these are for vertical fishing correct? I would like a rod that can handle multiple uses. I would like to use jigs, inline spinners, and crankbaits. However I would also use it for bobber fishing with live bait or jigs. There are a few docks and other areas that I can vertical fish off of also.

Should I go with a longer rod? or can I accomplish my tasks with a short rod?

I apologize for such a long post but I'm just really confused. Any advice you can provide will be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

A longer rod will let you cast further. I have several 5' 4" rods I absolutely love for jigging but they don't cast very far. Fortunately I'm going most of my fishing from a boat. For a single bank rod I'd go for a medium length rod about 6'.
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Jigging right beside the boat? I use a 5ft. Falcon rod, MADE IN USA, great quality rod. 100 percent graphite, very sensitive. I live the Falcon rods. The also feature Fuji guides. You will pay for it but, you will not by another for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're fishing from shore, a longer rod will help in a variety of ways: longer casting, better hook-setting, better control of the fish. I fish from shore the majority of the time and mostly use 12' rods.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like rods about 6-7', nothing shorter than 5'6". I have a 6' ML rod that has 15# braid on it that is my do-all rod. From bream to bass to crappie to stripers to catfish, it is always with me. It is a Rapala rod that I got at Target believe it or not. Dont laugh though. It has caught a PILE of fish. I would look into the Daiwa Spinmatic series. They are not expensive, and they come in a wide variety of sizes.

PJ35
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

Post Thanks / Like

And not I am NOT throwing small jigs or anything, the smallest I use would be about a 1/16oz. I use it alot for bass and crappie rigs also, stuff that require 1/4 - 1/2 oz of weight. If you want to throw small jigs or vertical jig, get about a 9 or 10 foot Bass Pro Shops Wally Marshal Universal Series rod. I like the 10' for tightlining with 1/2 oz weight, but you can get pretty small with it. If you want to throw absolutely ITY BITY jigs, get a BPS Wally Marshal Mighty lite in the 7 or 8' version.

PJ35
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a rod that can do all of the above and handle the occasional 4lb. bass that will hit your roadrunner...did I say roadrunner, forget that, then I would go with a 6'6 Crappie Wizard pole. I have two and I would love to have two more because everyone that fishes with me can't keep up so I loan them my other one for the days fishing. It will outcast just about any rod out there and it is durable plus a good backbone for fighting those 4lb. green carp. :D

I would call Lance at Grizzly Jig. He should have them or can tell you where you can. You can go to grizzlyjig.com for their number.

Oh yeah, the price isn't bad either. I think $35.00

You won't be disaapointed.

The Hound
    Last edited by CrappieHound; 10-19-2008 at 05:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't recommend a 9-10 ft. pole for what you described. They take a lot of room to cast and you give up casting accuracy as well. IMHO

The Hound

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the crappie wizards and I like it also.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod

I use a 7 1/2 ft Bass Pro Shop ultra lite with a Shimano 2500 Symetre reel. Works great. The rod is on sale quite often for $29.95 & the reel is on sale at Dicks for $59.95 right now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast