Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wally Marshall Deluxe Reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wally Marshall Deluxe Reel

I ordered a few Wally Marshall crappie reels just for use as line holders on trolling rods. Anyone have any experiences with them? They had some bad reviews online but it was mostly people expecting them to cast like a baitcaster.

Bass Pro Shops Wally Marshall Deluxe Round Crappie Reel

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a cheap spinning reel for around the same price. Also could look at a Zebco 11 spincaster. Just might have to replace the line it is prespooled with. It is around the same price as those WM reels. I have two of those WM reels and they did not stay on my rods long. The spool release switch is too stiff. Very hard to get line off because of that. I loosened the drag so that I could pull line off and that worked OK.

I would recommend the spinning reels though just because they are more versatile. if you are wanting a casting type reel for trolling. I would search for a cheap baitcaster. You don't need a suped up model for crappie. A cheap one will do fine. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I use spinning reels just for their effectiveness. They generaly have good drags, and can hold plenty of line, and can cast like the dickens. Just my 2 cents.

PS Daiwa makes a Sweepfire that is awesome to tightline with, pops has #30 braid on it for when you might hook a catfish or striper. They make many sizes.
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few of those WM mini reels and actually prefer the Uncle Bucks mini reels which BPS also sells and is a few bucks cheaper.The reason I prefer the Bucks is the line release on The WM does not work so well as already mentioned and it works fine on the Uncle Bucks.