Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What line test is preferred...?

Post Thanks / Like

Question What line test is preferred...?

Another question, I usually fish brush piles using a slip bobber. What pound test line do you all try to use. Mono..braid...brand...color...etc? How about bobbers? Thanks again and thanks to the individuals that monitor and run the site too... DH.
    "One man gathers what another man spills" GD

Post Thanks / Like

If you search the archives, you'll find a thousand or so threads on nothing but line: braid vs. mono, mono vs. fluoro, braid vs. fluoro, clear vs. hi vis, 4lb vs. 6lb. You can literally read for days.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink My personal preferences ........

Casting jigs - 4lb mono (hi-vis)
    Tightlining - 6-8lb mono (clear/blu & hi-vis)
    Minnow/float rig - (around wood) 20lb Spiderwire (grey)
    Minnow/float rig - (open water) 4-8lb mono (clear/blu & lo-vis green)
    Trolling jigs - 6-8lb mono (clear/blu & hi-vis)
    Casting RR's - 10lb PowerPro Braid (hi-vis)

Slip floats ... I usually use a pear shaped styrofoam float, but occasionally will use a Thill slipfloat.

(as to the site monitoring kudos ..... You're very welcome -- and thank you for noticing !! )

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

CP always has the best answers. :D
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I like using 15lb power pro as my line on the reel which I attach a small barrell swivel after putting on the bobber stoper and cork. Then come off the barrell swivel with about 3' of 8 -10lb fluorocarbon line as my leader then tie my hook or jig on it with a loop knot. With this setup if you get hung, most of the time you will straighten out a thin wire hook. But if not doesn't straighten the hook, 95% of the time the fluorocarbon leader breaks at the hook and just retie another hook or jig on and your ready to go. Which means you don't have to retrieve your cork and retie your whole setup from the start. I also like using a 9 -12" rod which makes casting much easier because when fishing more than 15' deep the bobber stoper will not wind up in the reel. But it will wind up in the reel if you use say a 6" rod. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I use braid from anything to #6 to #30 on my crappie reels. I use the 6 and 8 for UL rods (5-6') and 10-14# for long rods. I have 30 on my 6' MH spinning rod, which I always have a sabiki rig on, because you're pretty likely to snag a catfish when jerking around a big school of perch. If you get it snagged, you can just jerk it hard and not have to worry about loosing your whole rig, just one of the hooks. Also that rod doubles as a striper/catfish rod.
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.