Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbe still needs help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbe still needs help.

Hello. I am still getting stood up crappie fishing, only catching one or two per trip. I have to be doing something wrong. I have a few questions. I am in East Tennessee and have been fishing Tellico lake. What is the ideal water temp? If you catch one fish say from a laydown, stumpbed, or stickup would it be safe to say they are more in the same area or move on to another spot? I hear these fish school but have yet to keep catching them from the same spot. If you fish were you would think a crappie would be how many cast befor trying something else or just moving on? I have used about everything live minnows, grubs, roadrunners, burkley crappie nibbles, fake minnows sprayed with fish stuff, and alot more lol. I have spent more for crappie fishing than I ever have any other fish and I just started targeting these fish. I really want to learn how to catch them but I do not know anymore. M80 mabe? No just kidding but it has crossed my mind after hours of fishing and miles of boating trying to find these fish with nogood results. I have caught about every fish but crappie, heck a couple of weeks ago I caught a 10lb drum using a white grub with a ultralite lighting rod and
    6lb test line. It was fun took about 2 min to get it in the boat but I would really love to learn how to get the crappie in my boat.I have read many post and have put the information to use but still having a hard time. I think this newbe may need it spelled out. Thank youall in advance for any information.
    Last edited by bulldog007; 10-17-2008 at 08:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It can be hard trying to figure things out on your own. Any chance of hooking up with another (more experienced) crappie.com member in your neck of the woods? If not, it might be well worth it to spend a day with a good local guide.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you are fishing a brush pile then yes maybe only a fish or a couple will be active on any one tree. Some people fish standing timber and only expect to catch 1-3 fish per tree.

It they are really biting then over a brush pile you can catch a lot of them, but most people fishing brush piles have more than a few and will go from one to another until they find some biting. Maybe later they will go back to one they already tried and didn't catch any. They can turn on or off fast. Most will also tell you don't spend a lot of time if no bite is happening.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Bulldog007 ....

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog007 View Post
    Hello. I am still getting stood up crappie fishing, only catching one or two per trip. I have to be doing something wrong. I have a few questions. I am in East Tennessee and have been fishing Tellico lake. What is the ideal water temp? If you catch one fish say from a laydown, stumpbed, or stickup would it be safe to say they are more in the same area or move on to another spot? I hear these fish school but have yet to keep catching them from the same spot. If you fish were you would think a crappie would be how many cast befor trying something else or just moving on? I have used about everything live minnows, grubs, roadrunners, burkley crappie nibbles, fake minnows sprayed with fish stuff, and alot more lol. I have spent more for crappie fishing than I ever have any other fish and I just started targeting these fish. I really want to learn how to catch them but I do not know anymore. M80 mabe? No just kidding but it has crossed my mind after hours of fishing and miles of boating trying to find these fish with nogood results. I have caught about every fish but crappie, heck a couple of weeks ago I caught a 10lb drum using a white grub with a ultralite lighting rod and
    6lb test line. It was fun took about 2 min to get it in the boat but I would really love to learn how to get the crappie in my boat.I have read many post and have put the information to use but still having a hard time. I think this newbe may need it spelled out. Thank youall in advance for any information.
    Creel Clerk for Tellico is out with back injury, so no TWRA fishing reports for there. But, it is close to & seems similar to Ft Loudon & Watts Bar ... so those reports may help you determine what the fish are currently doing.
    Checked Tellico out on Google Map ... unfortunately, only the Northern end is enhanced. Looks to be quite a few docks ... so you may consider doing some dock shooting. The blowdowns & brushpiles locations are good to know ... but, may serve you better early next year. Right now, I suspect the White Crappie are still out deep, on the channel edges around wood. The Black Crappie, however, should be working their way towards the deeper water docks (with > 15ft of water under them). Shad migration movements and locations are a key factor in where the Black Crappie are going to set up their ambush spots. Any flats with brush/wood, close to a channel &/or banks with deep water docks, should always be given close scrutiny.
    Tellico's Crappie may still be scattered, or on the move. A week or two of cool weather should get them started. If the lake has "turned over" anywhere ... avoid those areas until they settle.
    Bridge pilons that are in 20+ FOW ... deserve a shot, too.

I've never fished Tellico ... and am only giving advice based on my experiences on Watts Bar ... so take it at face value.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

yes bulldog007, in shallow brush piles, there tends to be only one or two fish unless there are many brush piles close together. I find larger groups of fish suspended in deeper water near submerged trees, etc.
    <*)}}}>{

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, thanks for the information. Tellico feeds into Ft Loudon and WattsBar I will check out those reports. A few more questions. As far as water temp. What should I be looking for. I have been in anywere from 60 up towards chillhowee dam to around 70-75 last week way down the lake around batcreek. I did not know what the best temp. would be. Now the brushpiles I have seen have been piled up at the end of coves in about 3 feet of water they are just big piles of brush. Also I have seen tobaco sticks nailed to stumps that are about 3-4 feet below the surface. As far as dockflipping do you use docks on the main lake or the docks in creeks? Do you just cast under the dock? Now as far as shad last time I was in a creek I saw what looked like a whale going through the water but it was really about 100-200 small fish, they looked like they were about 3-4 inches long. Was that shad? I hope I don't bore people with my corney questions. Thanks again. You are not only helping me you are also going to make my wife and little girl crappie fishin machines also.

Post Thanks / Like

In-Fisherman has an entire book on crappie fishing. It would be a great resource for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish mostly creek ledges. Find the ledges in the lake the crappie will be near.
    Bobby Garland Pro Staff Bass Pro Shop Pro Staff
    Hi-Tek Pro Staff
    Denali Rods Pro Staff Road Runner Pro Staff
    K2 Coolers Pro Staff

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papaS View Post
    yes bulldog007, in shallow brush piles, there tends to be only one or two fish unless there are many brush piles close together. I find larger groups of fish suspended in deeper water near submerged trees, etc.
    Welcome from Alabama. Usually If I am in a boat I will fish a spot for ten minutes, catch the active fish, and then move on. During those ten minutes fish slowly and pay attention to what the fish are telling you.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

WELL your starting off in my opinion right, you are asking questions and I get to relearn from the answers you get, I been doing this crappie fishing for over 40 years, never go with out trying to learn something, and am never afraid of asking someone for help, I have found the more the water cools the more the fish gather,and I fish a lot of shallow water in the cold water 44dg. water 2ft. deep clear water next to brush good luck and hope you have a good time fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast