Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where do they all go?

Cmyskill Guest

Default Where do they all go?

Hello,

Where do all the crappie (speceled perch) go in the summer. I live in south Florida (Okeechobee lake) and have always wanted to know why I never see anyone catching them in the summer, Even in the nets?

Thanks for the info,

Kenneth

Post Thanks / Like

They are suspending out over deeper water. Confined Open Water. Check along the edge of a deep creek channel or over an underwater hump. They are there and you can find them using your depth finder. Then note their depth and fish accordingly. It's tough is they are at 10ft and you are fishing too deep at 11 ft. That one foot can make the difference. They prefer to look up and chase up for their food not down. I slow troll for them or if there is some wind I let the wind put action in my slip bobber jig setups.

Look for drop offs and around the drops you will find the suspended crappie. Actually once you locate crappie during the hot summer months you can catch a lot of the. Same in the winter months such as during Dec and Jan. They are tightly schooled at these times of the year. Winter time is good if you get a warm day with little wind as you will have the lake all to yourself. Just don't fall into the water at this time of the year and dress warm and always wear your life jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmyskill
    Hello,

Where do all the crappie (speceled perch) go in the summer. I live in south Florida (Okeechobee lake) and have always wanted to know why I never see anyone catching them in the summer, Even in the nets?

Thanks for the info,

Kenneth
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Suspending crappie questions

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    They are suspending out over deeper water. Confined Open Water. Check along the edge of a deep creek channel or over an underwater hump. They are there and you can find them using your depth finder. Then note their depth and fish accordingly. It's tough is they are at 10ft and you are fishing too deep at 11 ft. That one foot can make the difference. They prefer to look up and chase up for their food not down. I slow troll for them or if there is some wind I let the wind put action in my slip bobber jig setups.

Look for drop offs and around the drops you will find the suspended crappie. Actually once you locate crappie during the hot summer months you can catch a lot of the. Same in the winter months such as during Dec and Jan. They are tightly schooled at these times of the year. Winter time is good if you get a warm day with little wind as you will have the lake all to yourself. Just don't fall into the water at this time of the year and dress warm and always wear your life jacket.
    In regards to the crappie suspending over cover in deeper water in the summer time. I have a question that I would like to pose to all of the more experienced crappie fisherpersons. (I say fisherpersons so as not to offended anyone) In my area of the world, about as south in Louisiana as one can go before going in the Gulf, we have relativly flat bottom fishing waters. None of this 20 to 40 feet I hear about in the northern states. The crappie really do not have deep water to suspend over. Maybe a 1 foot difference in most places and most places are around the 6 to 8 feet range. What do the crappie do? Do they get as close to the bottom as they can? Do they seek shade in lieu of deeper cooler waters? Do they just get stressed out and shut down until night fall? This may sound like silly questions but to a beginner I really do not know and I experience the same slow bite days due to summer heat as those with deeper waters.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What No deep water? LOL

Crappie may try to seek shade as much as possible in shallow water. Boat docks might be a good place to start. Deep water is relative so find the deepest holes with shade if possible. Also if you have weeds growing the crappie may find them producing oxygen and providing cover and shade from the sun.

One thing I do know is that Crappie don't like the bright sunlight. They will be found in shade. Deep water if avaialble provides protection or shade from the sun. When there is not deep water then any shade will do. A submerged tree will cast a shadow. I have found crappie do hang on the shady part of standing trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    In regards to the crappie suspending over cover in deeper water in the summer time. I have a question that I would like to pose to all of the more experienced crappie fisherpersons. (I say fisherpersons so as not to offended anyone) In my area of the world, about as south in Louisiana as one can go before going in the Gulf, we have relativly flat bottom fishing waters. None of this 20 to 40 feet I hear about in the northern states. The crappie really do not have deep water to suspend over. Maybe a 1 foot difference in most places and most places are around the 6 to 8 feet range. What do the crappie do? Do they get as close to the bottom as they can? Do they seek shade in lieu of deeper cooler waters? Do they just get stressed out and shut down until night fall? This may sound like silly questions but to a beginner I really do not know and I experience the same slow bite days due to summer heat as those with deeper waters.
    Regards,

Moose1am

cmistfp Guest

Default Summer crappie in Fl

I went out Fri nite and got 12 keepers . The smallest was 11" long . I got them trolling live minnows over 20 - 25 foot of water . You're right about fishing for crappie in summer in Fl . Most won't try as the water temps are way up and the fish aren't in the shallows . I have caught them year round here in Windermere on the Butler Chain . I won't catch as many as I would during the spawn . But they gotta eat , right ? Try trolling at night starting just before the sun goes down . That's when I notice the bite turnin on . I'll try to post a pic on the brag board of Friidays catch . It's possible to catch them if your dilligent and don't give up . Chris

Cmyskill Guest

Well, I have caught up to 200-300 in a night durring the winter months in south Florida. I usally on catch them in the summer when fishing for Shell Cracker, Blue Gills, and Brim and I usally on catch one or two all summer. It just seems so strange that they are so abundant in the winter and vanish in the summer. like I said before Not even the deep nets catch them..... I was just curious as to how so many can find vanish...

Thanks for all the answers and help..

Kenneth

Post Thanks / Like

How clear is the water in your lake? Are there a lot of weeds or submergent or emergent vegetation? The crappie may hide in the vegetation during the day. That is when the plant life is producing the most oxygen during photosynthesis. Lilly Pads can provide lots of shade and cover and the shaded water should be cooler than the water that is in direct sunlight.

During the Winter the suns rays are coming into the earth and a lesser angle and don't penetrate the water so deeply and intensely.

You might check on the TN board as Reelfoot lake is similar to what you describe. It's a very shallow famous crappie lake. Although it may be a bit deeper than 8ft in places. I have a good topo map of Reelfoot on my computer but have not ever been there so I can't really describe the fishing there. But I know that many others have posted about reelfoot in the old crappie.com web forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmyskill
    Well, I have caught up to 200-300 in a night durring the winter months in south Florida. I usally on catch them in the summer when fishing for Shell Cracker, Blue Gills, and Brim and I usally on catch one or two all summer. It just seems so strange that they are so abundant in the winter and vanish in the summer. like I said before Not even the deep nets catch them..... I was just curious as to how so many can find vanish...

Thanks for all the answers and help..

Kenneth
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Florida Fishing

You certainly can't compare Reelfoot to Okeechobee and you certainly will not be fishing by yourself in Janurary.
    I am wondering if you have tried the Government Cut. You will find that this will have some of the deepest water in the lake. Also try the Kissimmee River where you will find water in the 25 foot or more range.
    I will be fishing the Harris Chain this winter with an ocasional trip to St. John's.
    I have fished Okeechobee many times but not in last 3-4 years. How was the fishing last Jan-Mar.
    Goodfishing
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Moose.

Okeechobee maximum depth is about 15 foot and the water is as black as oil.
    In winter (Nov-Feb) you can toss a few rods off the side of the boat in rod holders, and catch slab crappie all day long while drifting. But he is right, the summer months, they just disappear.

If I was there right now, I would be out early in the morning or late in the evening in that 12-15ft range, dangling minnows from my rod holders at various depths on a 2 minnow rig spaced out at about 18 inches.

What a mystery.

My only suggestion would be to fish at night around the bridge pilons in the Kissimee river or the mouth of the river at night, deadlining minnows at various depths.

From other reports I've read, your best bet this time of year is to buy some wild shiners and catch some lunker bass. The bass fishing is excellent right now at the Big "O".