Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop Question??? Help!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop Question??? Help!!!

I just got fininshed with rigging my 17' F&F. I have alot of weight in the rear with 3 batteries, 12 gal of fuel, and a 50 h.p. tiller Merc. The boat sits perfect in the water and the rear weight was intentional so that when I fish 2 people in the front it will not sit nose heavy. The only problem I have is that when I am at full speed I cannot trim it up even alittle or it porposes and makes for a rough ride. Its almost like it is trimmed up as far as it can run without porposing while I have it trimmed all the way trimmed down. Does anyone know if changing my prop would help me or do I need to find some way to add weight to the front. Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go down in pitch or go to a four blade prop. This will push more water give you more stability.
    Mr. Plucker

Post Thanks / Like

You could also try a hydrofoil stabilizer, if you can find one small enough to fit on your cavitation plate. It would really help with your holeshot and should just about eliminate the porpoising. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Changing props will do nothing to change this. Adding weight to the bow will help, but then you will be bow heavy when fishing. Call F&F and see what they suggest.

Post Thanks / Like

My parents once had a new boat that did this. The dealer installed a wedge shaped shim between the boat transom and motor mounting bracket, it fixed the porpoising but did slow the boat down a bit.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog007 View Post
    You could also try a hydrofoil stabilizer, if you can find one small enough to fit on your cavitation plate. It would really help with your holeshot and should just about eliminate the porpoising. Hope this helps.
    theres your answer

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

i had a star craft that done that.I lowered the motor about a inch and it took care of the problem might give it a try
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Props may not fix the problem, I was reading in ************** about a guy who tried everything but just couldn't accept his rig was under powered, but the math done on his boat said it was. The flip side would be that properly sized 3 blade prop might bail you out here. 4 blades are nice for holeshots and showing off but for raw efficiency and service you want a 3 blade. Best off talking to the manufacturers service techs. You could have a minor height issue or tilt problem.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

It feels like I just need to trim it down another inch or so at full speed when it is all the way trimmed down. I am considering adding a 5 degree wedge to give me alittle more down trim. Has anyone used these?

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similiar problem with a boat that I purshased last year, I had quite a bit of run around from the dealer, after raising the motor which helped, and moving the trolling motor batteries forward, which helped more but didn't solve the problem I called the manufacturer, which had the dealer install trim tabs on the back of the boat that I could bend down, these did help some more but hasn't totally solved the problem, created more drag and now it's harder to handle in a tight turn. It's much better than it was but I'am not very happy with the overall preformace of this boat. Maybe some of this will help or give you a idea to work with. If you figure out what to do to fix your problem I would like to hear what you did to fix it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast