Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kayak rant (ramp etiquette)

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayak rant (ramp etiquette)

Ok, I can't hold this in anymore. I am sick and tired of the darn kayakers, and canoeist on the boat ramps. Seriously, do they HAVE drive right down to the water's edge to off load a 20lb piece of plastic, holding up the whole ramp and rhythm of things? Last Saturday afternoon I drive down to get my tub out of the water, following all the normal boating etiquette at a ramp. I am confronted by what seems to me some rude if not carefree, borderline stupid people. These folks take the time to pull up in their blooming Mini Coopers and hybrid SUVs, 2 people get out to off load this little piece of plastic, or 2. Then, still parked at the ramp, they start putting on their spandex and neoprene attire, special gear and gloves etc. so they can paddle like ducks slapping up the water. After that, still parked at the ramp, they spend time smearing sun block on and making sure their Ralph Nader tie dye tee shirts are tucked in just so. Do some stretches, shake a little bit, twist the neck and head around a few times (still not in the #$%*ing boat). Put their hands on their hips and sway in circles, get them hips loosened up, so you can work your arms and slowly paddle across a perfectly serene lake??!!! Meanwhile the trailers are piling up behind me. On top of this, theres a guy with a fold up boat, oh hes a pip! He has this 30lb piece of folding aluminum boat quadra-strapped to his trailer and it takes him and his partner a calculator and 87 suggestions on how to undo this contraption he created, fortunately hes the only lucid one in the whole bunch and kindly pulls away from the ramp until he can figure out how to undo his spiderweb of 1000lb ratcheting straps. By now Joe and Joan aerobics on the ramp, are getting into their kayaks when I notice another bunch with kayaks about to pull the same stunt. Eh, sorry, backtu just lost all tolerance for this, and I drive down between them all and back in between them like a Jerry Reed 30 year veteran trucker. Not risking a single soul's well being, yet much to my surprise they look at me as if I am a&%ole because I couldn't wait an additional half hour to get my boat. Sorry to tell these folks, but the title "boat ramp" is self explanatory. You folks who need a dressing room, you better do it at home.

I think it's about high time some fishing legislation was introduced that actually favors a fisherman. I don't mind if the tree huggers wanna slap up the water and observe nature, but spare the rest of us. Stop running over our lines while creating enough noise to wake the dead. Don't treat a boat ramp like it's your own personal space and property, a dressing room, and workout mat. Get your gear in or out and leave, simple.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Get em Backto. :D:D

Post Thanks / Like

Give 'em heck

When you get them straightened out, I got some skiers who like to wind
    up ropes and inflate/deflate towables on the ramp I'd like to introduce you
    to

Also, folks who fish off the load/unload dock... I REALLY don't mind
    sharing, even though it plainly says "no fishing - boat loading/unloading
    only - 10 min max" - BUT - when they can't keep their lines away from
    my motor, and insist on giving me dirty looks because I'm ruining their fishing... I swear, I go out of my way to not bother them, but when it
    comes down to either making them move a line, or beach on rip-rap
    I feel a good going-off on somebody coming on :o
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I got my first taste of that at Wallys big crappie bash tourny this year a lake Ray Hubbard we dont get many kyakers at Reelfoot. So I almost lost it when a crowd of them were blocking the ramp waiting for the wind to die down. You know It was bad enough Im fishing a tournament and the wind is blowing 40 mph and im 600 miles from home. But to have a 8 or 9 people parked on the ramp acting like they dont see a 19' bright red Stratos in front of them is enough to make the most patient person explode!! Us crappie fisherman have a unspoken ramp understanding, what makes them special. Maybe its a small watercraft complex Idk?
    Mr. Plucker

Post Thanks / Like

I know it is not funny but I about fell out of my chair lol. Some people have not respect or any commonsence at all. I think it is how they were raised. I was brought up to treat people as you would want to be treated. It is to bad more people do not do this. On the other side I was also brought up to kindly treat people as they have treated you. My wife keeps me out of alot of trouble I am glad she goes fishing with me alot she really keeps me from blowing a fuse sometimes. If I was in your shoes I would have done the same thing. I would introduce them to wake also. I tell you another thing to. I live in Townsend Tennessee and often use Foothills Parkway to get to Chillhowee and Tellico lakes. They are a new trend with bicycles wanting to ride up and down the Parkway. They stay in the road to going every bit of 5-10mph up the side of the mountain. Nothing more fun that having to come to a craw on a steep incline with a boat, then you get to try to pass them up with you not knowing if you have a crouchrocket coming around the corner at you doing 90mph. Sooner or later they are going to get theirselfs or some other poor victim killed. You are going to run into stipid idots everywere you go thesedays. All I can say is try to get through it when you can. Just try to keep breaking the fishes jaws and not someones. Happy fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't see the difference between kayakers or a family loading coolers, skiis and lifejackets into a runabout. It's rude to tie up a ramp. Doesn't matter what they drive.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Shortstorie. It burns me to be waiting in line to launch and some fool who could have gotten his boat ready waits until he backs halfway down the ramp to do this. Plumb rude.

Post Thanks / Like

Ever heard the expression " preaching to the Choir ".

I hope someone explained to them the rules.

or at least left a note on thier windshield and let the air out of thier tires.

MO
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/mozingo1952/?action=view&current=crappie1010002-1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

what burns me is when im cruising at 90 mph on my 40 foot cigerette boat and have to dodge all the anglers in there dingys that think the middle of the lake is where the fish are. they already have ever small pond, lake stream and river to ply there trade in.. fishing in middle of a big lake is like parking in the middle of the freeway, just isnt proper. i say we pass legislation making all fisherman fish within 20 foot of the shore so i can jetski, waterski, or just waste hundreds of dollars in fuel going all out without having to have a human slalom course of old men in 1942 john boats drinking shlitz cursing at me everytime they got overturned by a rogue wave... and also please if there is not a fish cleaning station do not put your stinking carcasses in the dumbsters on a 90 degree day please...
    Last edited by john h; 10-14-2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: sarcasm

Post Thanks / Like

geez, they need to learn to get the heck away and leave everyone alone... But the worst ones are ......... who just sit on the Wateree boat dock jabbing at each other with their ...... and are fishing right beside a $50,000 bass boat with their lines 3" from the prop. I mean what the heck. And I guarantee you NONE of them have lisences, and half of them are probly illegal! Makes me soo p***** off I could spit! And to top it all off their ....... are SWIMMING IN THE BOAT RAMP! Sometimes you just have to think.
    Last edited by Slab; 10-15-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: stop ethnic jabs - please
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast