Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where Are Fall Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where Are Fall Crappie

I am having a very hard time locating these fish. Any suggestions AGAIN would be great. I have looked on the edge of the channel and on the flats but no fish. The water temp is down to 72 here in central tx.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a ride around the lake right after dawn and see where the baitfish are hanging out. If it's shad, they'll be right at the surface before the sun shows up. That will tell you how shallow to look.

If you don't see baitfish, at 72 degrees, I'd still be looking at the main lake points and the creek channel where it joins the main lake or slightly back into a creek arm. Then work your way shallow along the creek if you don't hit anything out there.

Post Thanks / Like

there in my fridge

Post Thanks / Like

If you have any bridges (especially in deeper water) start fishing the pylons. I do well 10' deep. It's a bit early for them to be at the bridges but some may be there now.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

No bridges, where would I look in flooded timber?

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Where I'd look, would be ....

Quote Originally Posted by NoMinners View Post
    No bridges, where would I look in flooded timber?
    in an isolated stand of timber - a different type of tree, surrounded by other trees (as in a Cedar amongst a bunch of hardwoods) - trees that are on a deep point - trees that are next to a channel edge - trees just inside the mouth of a deep creek - and any blowdowns that stick out into deep water.

If the lake still has a thermocline ... don't fish below it. No thermocline - either start at the bottom and work your way up ... or start a couple of feet below where the bait disappears from sight, and work your way down. (methods of doing this are dependant upon bait used)

You planning on using minnows, or jigs ? In either case ... I'd start with one pole, and go tree to tree until I found a pattern. Catch more than a couple at one spot ... figure out what the difference is, of that spot vs the others you tried and didn't catch any from. The fish may be scattered, but being on the move and hitting alot of different trees/spots will help you cover alot of water ... and hopefully help you pattern the fish.

I like to get on the water just before first light ... casting the blowdowns while the shade is still over them. As the Sun gets higher, and the shaded banks get fewer ... move out to the first major depth drop, and fish deeper.

If there's any docks : shoot a jig under the deeper ones (if they're stationary) into the darkest shaded area. If they're floating docks, fish around them (shaded side first) and shoot a jig into any open boat slip (or under any parked pontoon). If using minnows - do the same, but swing them, don't shoot them :p Also - be mindful of any dock with pole holders, minnow buckets, fish baskets, or rods with bobbers or jigs on them ... chances are there's some brush under the dock or within a reasonable casting distance.

Just remember - private docks are just that ... Private. Be careful when fishing around them, and don't tie up to them or get out on them, without permission. You're trespassing, if you do.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds good, I will try that. There is about a 400 yard tree line that runs right by the creek in the main lake. Thanks for the advice.