Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tip jig with a minnow fillet?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Tip jig with a minnow fillet?

I read a article the other day that said when fish are finicky and want a small offering, they sometimes use a minnow fillet to tip the jig with. I have fished for blue cats with a shad fillet but never for crappie. We have enormous amounts of shad in our reservoirs here in Mississippi. I am wondering if a tiny fillet of shad would work even better (After all, they smell like who'd a thunk it!):

Post Thanks / Like

hmm im sure it would work i have done that for cats and alot fishin salt
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

takes a tiny knife to fillet a minnow.:p
    "To catch fish, you gotta be on the fish!"

Post Thanks / Like

I've used live minnows , hooked thru the lips on a naked jighead, works like a champ. I especially like this method on big bridges with lots of pillings, When you have to cover lots of water quickly. I fish it like a jig, but wait an extra second on the hookset.
    MO
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/mozingo1952/?action=view&current=crappie1010002-1.jpg

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd give them the entire minnow. Change from a 2.0 inch minnow to a 1.5 inch minnow. I've never seen a shad fillet swim like a live minnow. You want that minnow to look real as well as smell real. That is the swimming action you only get from a live minnow. You'll get a better quality fish.

If anything change the size hook from a #4 to a #6 and slow down your presentation. Use a slip float to keep it at or above the level of the crappie. Now slow down your presentation some more.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 10-14-2008 at 12:06 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

studies have shown that crappies, not bass or perch or any similar fish, are more likely to eat a LIVE bait that looks exactly like their natural forage... my 2 cents
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.