Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fence for Deer Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fence for Deer Questions

I want to fence an area to keep deer out. A high game fence while not impossible would be difficult to install. A 4-strand barbed wire fence exists. I'm wondering if either a second wire fence a few feet from the existing or a 6' wooden panel (stockade) fence would keep them from crossing. Will deer jump a fence where they cannot see the other side?
    Anyone have experience to share?
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default hair

how dig of an area if its a garden or something like that my family always fenced and also put bas of human hair that they get local barbers to gather for them around after it hangs a month or so give or take a little they just pour it out and put up new bags it seems to work as my uncle was having trouble with the deer eating his apples and pears at his hunting cabin its not fenced in all he does is put the bags of hair up and they don't come around like they did he just takes them down late summer so they start coming around a little better but i wouldn't totally depend on just the bags of hair i guess they smell the human presence and go the other way its free and worth a shot
    is that a bite...YEAH FISH DONT HAVE HANDS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slab_slayin_fool View Post
    how dig of an area if its a garden or something like that my family always fenced and also put bas of human hair that they get local barbers to gather for them around after it hangs a month or so give or take a little they just pour it out and put up new bags it seems to work as my uncle was having trouble with the deer eating his apples and pears at his hunting cabin its not fenced in all he does is put the bags of hair up and they don't come around like they did he just takes them down late summer so they start coming around a little better but i wouldn't totally depend on just the bags of hair i guess they smell the human presence and go the other way its free and worth a shot
    Thank you for the tip, I have heard of but forgotten about using human hair. My area is about 2500' total length though.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

There is a system on the market called Plot Saver.It consists of some posts and cloth ribbon that you put up around an area and treat the ribbon cloth.Used to keep deer out of food plots until plot is grown and established.They say it works great. Might google it and look into that.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Put in an electic fence. I was told it works best if you hang something the deer like to eat to get them to touch the wire. After one jolt they are afraid to get near it.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for replies everybody.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

You could get out there with your bow and let the air out of a couple of 'em. That's about the best deterred I know of :D.

Just kidding...kind of.

I have some friends that have had the same problem and they put moth balls around the garden and it worked very well. The human hair thing also works really well if you don't mind fooling with other folks' hair.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen where deer walk up to a garden with hair around it (in small piles) and done a 180 and went back to the woods. But, I've been told once a good rain comes the scent is gone. I'd say a two strand electric fence would be your best bet. A three or four row fence if you're real serious.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default heres another option

most of my family keep gardens of a decent size on their property and the state gives them these special permits they give their friends and such so they can come in and kill extra deer off the property and it dosent use their stamps for hunting else where so you may check with your dnr for that option also it of if you wanted to kill them your self like that i know that some shelters and habitat type places take deer and process them to give to people who need food there are quite a few places doing that in wv now so there may be another option it you want to thin them out some and help feed others at the same time
    is that a bite...YEAH FISH DONT HAVE HANDS

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately much like us they will eventually get used to anything. I know a fellow that used to tie his coonhounds out around his sweetcorn patch to keep everything away. The deer and coon learned where to go into the patch right around the dogs. If he would move the dogs the animals would move around them. If they are determined enough they will find a way in. Hair,mothballs, blood, coyote urine, piepans, ribbon, soap, everything else will only work for so long until they learn it is not a risk. I would recommend most likely what you are trying to find an alternative to which would be a fence of woven wire or heavy netting at least 8' high. Good luck,