Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hook to hold boat under bridges?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hook to hold boat under bridges?

Most of my crappie fishing has been in smaller lakes that do not have bridges. Recently I fished a larger lake that had numerous bridges. The locals had ropes hanging down from underneath the bridge and would use it to hold their boat steady. The rope didn't hang down very far so they had some kind of hook on a pole they would reach up with and then secure the other end to the boat. Anybody else do this and maybe have a diagram of your hook set up? These guys I saw had what looked like a rebar hook attached to a length of pvc pipe and somehow a rope was incorporated.
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasabi, I have a hook made from alum. conduit that I have used on the Ben Harrison bridge. That was before security got tight about tie to major bridges. I would anchor up stream, drift back and toss it over the wooden bumper, then shorten up my front anchor rope to pull the back rope tight. Kept me very steady even with all the boat wakes goint by.

Anyway, I got a single stick of alum. conduit. It is threaded on each end. I bent it so the threads were on the end of the straight shank. Then I screwed on a union. Drilled a hole in the union to accept a carabiner. Tie rope to carabiner. If you size it right , you can free/lift the hook by inserting the handle of your landing net.

You don't need the union. Just drill thru the conduit and pass a rope. I just used the beaner as a quick disconnect.

Dayton

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yea, it also works for holding the boat to the Chick dam. Or tossing in a tree limb etc.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Cordless hammer drill, tapcons and cleats. At night, then just take your cleats with you when you leave, reinstall next trip out.
    Would suggest NOT to use dynamite.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry