Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night Fishing

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Fishing

I want to learn to fish for crappie at night. What do I need to buy, and how do I need to fish?

I have bass fished many many times at night and my boat is rigged for that with black nights. I own a night crappie fishing submersable light and have never opened it.

LEARN ME PLEASE
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

David, If you can get down this way. I am 20 minutes from west point lake.
    I would be happy to show you how it is done. Big advantage at night over them little bastages. Summer is the best of times to nightstalk. I do it several different ways. One is I just fish it like a late fall or early spring day. In the same depths and places. Crappie seem to cruise at night. If you don't believe me tie a balloon to a throw back and follow it. This keeps me on top of the school without having to stay on top of it with the depth finder. Another is to tie up to a bridge in deep water and drop the lights and tightline different depths till you find them. You can also anchor on creek intersections in deep water and drop the lights. Creek or river bends are great too. Another way is to just troll baby, spider rig it with as many poles as you can handle. Just forget it is dark and troll. Those black lights will help you here and tightlining

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Default What kind of lights?

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSmitty
    Another is to tie up to a bridge in deep water and drop the lights and tightline different depths till you find them. You can also anchor on creek intersections in deep water and drop the lights. Creek or river bends are great too.
    FS -What type of lights are you using. Do the car headlights in styrofoam work? I have also seen the stick type lights that are green colored.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap

Post Thanks / Like

they all will help - the q-beam submersibles seem to the best in green or white - they all will attract the bait fish is what you trying to do to get the bigguns close by
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrap
    FS -What type of lights are you using. Do the car headlights in styrofoam work? I have also seen the stick type lights that are green colored.
    I use 2 of the green sticks and a floater. I plan to get a Q-beam. Starfire ll by brinkman. They seem like they will give you the most light per power usage. I run the 3 of mine on 1 battery.

David... try using a lil fishie or your favorite jigs around dock lights.
    Be sure to keep your rods in the holders. Those big kitties and stripers will take it with them if you don't. Lights attract all types of creatures. Snakes are curious and I have a co2 pistol to keep them at bay. Good luck
    Smitty

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Last night we had a green light off the back of the barge and a brinkman off the front. We saw more fish and bait by the green light but caught almost all the fish off the brinkman. Also had a 4+ pound walley to anchor the mess of fish we caught. The filet was 15 inches long. I will finaly get to solve the fried crappie vs walley debate for myself

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    Last night we had a green light off the back of the barge and a brinkman off the front. We saw more fish and bait by the green light but caught almost all the fish off the brinkman. Also had a 4+ pound walley to anchor the mess of fish we caught. The filet was 15 inches long. I will finaly get to solve the fried crappie vs walley debate for myself
    Glad to hear you had success with the lights. Did your power hold up?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but I cheated and took a batt out of my fishing boat. The green and brinkman ran all night from 8:30 last night till 6:30 this morning. I learned my lesson last night with having the lights to far down in the water. We lost several keepers with them getting tanled in the lights.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found our best luck with placing the green lights down about 5 to 8 foot down. And then use cork and minnows and set them in a circle around the light. The best spot to me is always there the bright light fades to darkness. There are some lighted corkes that work real well also or just using a rod holder and tight lining over the edge of the boat. I havent found a good way to rig up the lights to keep them away from the boat and have enough cord to get them plugged in. Night fishing is alot of fun, just have backup flash lights. And take it easy going back to the ramp, I dont care how well you know the water. It can really play with you in the pitch blackness of night. A gps with a trail set up so you can follow it right back to the ramp works too.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

we anchor on a point, ledge, dropff or channel in water 20 or more ft deep., tightline minnows over the side and use the brinkman starfires. use rods with soft tips, thats gonna be your bite indicator, like a cork would be if you using them. stiff rods are not what you wanna use., we fish year round, with our biggest fish coming in the colder months. good luck.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...