Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fall in Florida

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall in Florida

The air is cooling and the sunrises are magnificent. It's time to head for the nearest lake and try your luck.

Lake Manatee, a 2,500-acre body of water near my home, is my choice. The worst day I've ever had on the lake was pretty darn good. It has the reputation of being tough, but I've not found it that way at all.

I've made two trips in the past week. Last Friday, I did very well, catching 60 bluegill and speckled perch (crappie). I also hooked three fish that I couldn't handle. I suspected they were channel cats. But my 1-weight and 3.6-pound tippet weren't up to the task.

So, today, I beefed up to 4-weight and 8-pound fluoro tippet.

I caught 80 fish. Most were bluegill (about half were hand-size), but I also caught shellcracker, bass and stumpknocker. I also solved the mystery of the tackle-busting fish. They indeed were channel cats. I hooked on and landed one. It was big; it was 3 pounds on the Boga Grip. They fight was great.

Lake Manatee truly is a great lake. Most of my fish came on No. 10 bead head nymph under and strike indicator -- what a great producer.

Sunrise:

Crappie:

Bluegill:

Channel cat:

Steve
    Southern Drawl Kayak Fishing
    Native Watercraft-endorsed guide
    gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    Good post and pictures. What kind of indicator, how deep and what type retrieve? I would like to try that setup here in Ky.

Thanks,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, Steve. It is indeed getting to be Speck season here with the cooler weather and water temps of Fall and Winter. Those copperheaded bluegill are a blast, especially the large ones. Did you invite any of your catch home for dinner?
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiecrazy View Post
    Steve,
    Good post and pictures. What kind of indicator, how deep and what type retrieve? I would like to try that setup here in Ky.

Thanks,
    Tom

Tom,

I use a strike indicator that Dixieangler turned me onto. It's a VOSI (vertical oriented strike indicator). I just buy small perch floats from Wal-Mart, cut them in half with a razor blade. So, you get two for one.

I place it up the leader and it depends on how deep the water it and how deep you want your fly to work.

I cast it out, let it sink, then twitch it back. I use two one-inch quick strips, then pase. Repeat.

I catch a majority of my fish on this rig.

My fly of choice is a simple No. 10 or No. 12 gold beadhead nymp that's quick and easy to tie. I catch bass, bluegill, specks, shellcrackers, shiners and catfish on it.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dixieangler View Post
    Nice, Steve. It is indeed getting to be Speck season here with the cooler weather and water temps of Fall and Winter. Those copperheaded bluegill are a blast, especially the large ones. Did you invite any of your catch home for dinner?
    I released everything, but I thought about bringing home a few next trip. Can't beat fresh bluegill or specks.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGibson View Post
    Tom,

I use a strike indicator that Dixieangler turned me onto. It's a VOSI (vertical oriented strike indicator). I just buy small perch floats from Wal-Mart, cut them in half with a razor blade. So, you get two for one.

I place it up the leader and it depends on how deep the water it and how deep you want your fly to work.

I cast it out, let it sink, then twitch it back. I use two one-inch quick strips, then pase. Repeat.

I catch a majority of my fish on this rig.

My fly of choice is a simple No. 10 or No. 12 gold beadhead nymp that's quick and easy to tie. I catch bass, bluegill, specks, shellcrackers, shiners and catfish on it.

Steve,
    Thanks for the info! What is the deepest (distance from indicator to the fly) that you have ever used this rig?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

crappiecrazy,

Here is the link for the VOSI:

Vertically Oriented Strike Indicator (VOSI)

When I use the VOSI, I typically place it about four feet up the leader above the fly to start off with. I may adjust the depth of the fly as needed but I usually don't have to. Four feet has seemed to be the best all around depth for me under the VOSI. Your results may vary.:p

P.S.
    I don't cut a slit in the VOSI because the leader will work its way out of the slit especially when casting.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 10-10-2008 at 10:37 AM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiecrazy View Post
    Steve,
    Thanks for the info! What is the deepest (distance from indicator to the fly) that you have ever used this rig?

Tom

I'd say about four feet.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I would guess that anything over 4 ft would be awkward to cast with a fly rod

Thanks again,
    Tom

fishing buddy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics thanks

www.slabcrappieguides.com
    Hi Tek Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Baits