Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig Swap Suggestion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Swap Suggestion

I'd love to join in on the jig swap but unfortunately my jig tying skills just aren't up to the level/quality of most of the folks on this board. So, I'd be wasting eveyone's time.

I am very interested, however, as I am sure many others on this site are, in seeing pictures and images of some of the "favorites" that the more skilled tiers would swap. If tying ingredients or tying instructions could be included that would be a bonus as well.

This sure would be a great benefit to a new tier like myself and I am sure many others out there.

So, as a suggestion, why not award a fun "best of" recognition - or award a first, second or third place finisher and then show the rest of us what it/they were.

Just a suggestion!

:<)

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that it doesn't much matter how pretty or ugly your jig is,if you tip it with a waxworm or minnow , you're gonna get a bite.:D I have seen some terrific looking jigs on this site !!.................................Norm

Post Thanks / Like

Lynda ,sorry the pics from swap # 2 are no longer there.
    These are fowlmoods pics from swap #1
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-t...-pictures.html
    "Only Death will end my love affair with Texas"........... Bob Bullock

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up the old saying

Lynda- There is an old oft used saying about tying. "When you start out tying get a can to keep handy . As you learn to tie ,take the ones that don't turn out right and toss them in the can.
    As your skills improve and you feel you like you are finally able to tie nice jigs, take the can and go fishing. lol They are the ones that will catch more fish.lol ole Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Lynda Jean, please don't assume that a jig tied by a new tier is any less worthy than any other. Looks are less important than most think. I have been fishing with flies and jigs that I've tied for 45+ years, and can promise you that what we think looks good, doesn't mean the fish agree. Most times when a particular pattern starts to work for us, we don't change to a fresh, un-fished jig. You keep fishing that same jig fish after fish, and usually the more fish caught, you notice that the jig gets to looking pretty ratty, but starts to fish even better, with only a percentage of its original looks still intact.

I have a large collection of jigs and flies that were retired after an exceptional day of fishing, and are they are stuck into a fabric lampshade next to my tying bench. Each have a wonderful memory to share. None of them look like they did when they were taken out of the vise. And certainly no one would have appreciated getting one in a swap, but the fish on those days told me that looks didn't matter. Now I tie by looking at my proven patterns and the volume of material that the fish wanted, and rarely do they look like the original.

You had a great point about having the pattern included with the jig. Keep tying

If your jigs will catch a fish, then they are as good as they need to be

boatstall
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

Post Thanks / Like

Lynda

If you look at the bottom of the page and hit last page and go to page 15. Read all the threads and look for pictures of jigs tied by folks on here. You'll actually see where someone started and how they're doing now.

It also gives you some great photo examples of patterns that folks have tied up. I can tell you that even though I make and tie jigs I use just as many tubes and twister tails. Having a good selection is a big key.

They'res also a small video and some step by step on how to do jigs. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be amazed how many you actually tie up sitting in front of the tube or at the table.

I actually tied jigs before I learned to tie flies. As I started fly fishing I went to tying flies and that's about all I did. But amazingly the materials I gathered up for tying flies work just as well when doing jigs.

Have fun and check all the threads here. Check You Tube they have a few video's on jig tying there that can help you and you'll be on your way. WE WERE ALL BEGINNERS ONCE!!! If you have questions on materials or how we tied something just ask!! and as they say You will receive.

Lot's of good folks here and all are willing to help. If you want to learn to make your own jigheads we'll help you out in the learning curve or if you just want to them ask away lot's of folks here sell them.

Welcome aboard and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Come on and join in on a swap. I do not think anyone would be disappointed, that is not what a swap should be about. When I first started, I would just tie whatever came to mind, but having to tie the same type over and over forced me to get better (in my own eyes at least). To me personally I don't think fish pay attention to how well we humans think a jig looks. It is all about proportion and "catching the fishes eye". I remember hearing of a guy who once took some basic yarn and put it on a jig hook and consistantly caught fish. From what I remember of the story, the jigs looked rather rudimentary, but outperformed the other fishermans tackle. So give it a second thought and just do your best, you may just surprise yourself. As far as awarding 1st, 2nd etc., I do not think that would be beneficial. When I Plugged this idea in here, i never intended for it to become a "competition" (not saying that you were implying that) but that would be how it would be implied. Instead I would recommend the host to post pics of ALL jigs for everyone to see. I understand what you were getting at, I just would hate for this thing to head the wrong way and people feel like they were not worthy of joining in.
    Last edited by fowlmood77; 10-08-2008 at 03:13 PM.
    TinBoats.net
    The original aluminum boat fishing club!

fishing buddy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fowlmood77 View Post
    Come on and join in on a swap. I do not think anyone would be disappointed, that is not what a swap should be about. When I first started, I would just tie whatever came to mind, but having to tie the same type over and over forced me to get better (in my own eyes at least). To me personally I don't think fish pay attention to how well we humans think a jig looks. It is all about proportion and "catching the fishes eye". I remember hearing of a guy who once took some basic yarn and put it on a jig hook and consistantly caught fish. From what I remember of the story, the jigs looked rather rudimentary, but outperformed the other fishermans tackle. So give it a second thought and just do your best, you may just surprise yourself. As far as awarding 1st, 2nd etc., I do not think that would be beneficial. When I Plugged this idea in here, i never intended for it to become a "competition" (not saying that you were implying that) but that would be how it would be implied. Instead I would recommend the host to post pics of ALL jigs for everyone to see. I understand what you were getting at, I just would hate for this thing to head the wrong way and people feel like they were not worthy of joining in.
    Well put fowlmood!!!!!!!

www.slabcrappieguides.com
    Hi Tek Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Baits

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all the above comments. Well put, guys. Don't be intimidated by the fact that some of the guys have more experience than you. Jump right up in amongst'em.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fowlmood77 View Post
    Yes Sir !
    "Only Death will end my love affair with Texas"........... Bob Bullock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast