Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night fishing questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night fishing questions

I am new to this board. I love to fish at night for many reasons, but I have many questions about crappie. I live in central Mississippi. Most water here is moderately stained to heavily stained. Is lighter stained water better than darker stained water for night fishing with lights? I catch lots of fish in December and January, but I am having a hard time finding them now. I typical fish a 36000 acre res. Last weekend I fished a 90 acre state lake and caught 17 fish in the 10 - 12 inch range. The only difference I can see at this point is the 90 acre lake is clearer (relatively speaking). I am sure this topic had been hashed and rehashed, I just don't know where to find the info. Please help.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you didn't say if the fishes were caught at night or during the day. I night fish quite a bit during the heat of the summer, and it's confined to two lakes, which have ample plankton bloom in it to qualify as dark water. Results vary, depending on conditions.

I assume you fish Ross Barnett some. That's a good lake for night fishing, but it takes some experimentation. You might read the article by Rango that can be accessed from the home page by clicking on the "Articles and Tips". He's the guru of night fishing. You might also tune in to the So. Carolina and Ga. forums for tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,
    That is a great article. The fish were caught at night in Pelahatchie Lake. I have fished Ross Barnett 6 nights over the past 3 weeks and have caught about 10 crappie total and a million catfish (which are just annoying when your heart is set on Crappie.) I usually fish later in the year, so I could just be fishing in the wrong spots. I read on the South Carolina board that they fish 10+ feet in water that is 20+ feet. Do you ever catch fish this deep in Miss? Thank you for responding.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished Pelahatchie Lake again last night and caught only 2 fish. I set up 20 ft. from where I caught the other fish and caught nothing until I got ready to go. I picked up a pole and started "jiggin" and caught both around 7' deep. that was 3' deeper than I had fished all night. 4' is where I had caught them before and "assumed" they would be there again. never even crossed my mind that they could be under where I was fishing. I still have a lot to learn about night fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you use minnows or not, but when night fishing for me it's usually summer and I use a 1/8 or 1/4 oz. jig tied on the bottom and about 18" up I will tie a loop with a hook for the minnow. Moe times than not the bigger fish will come on the jig.

Stained water I like my Green Hornet Jig a lot, but I do use other jigs as well depending on how stained it is. I also like my Black Widow Jig a lot at night as well.

If you look around my web site you will see lots of pics of jigs on the jig page as well as more jig pics page and I have added new stuff page as well.

Dark or bright colors are good for stained water and when I get i water I can see my jig down say 4' in the day time I love Blue & White or Blue & Chart.

I have plans on adding a lot more info to my How To Page and have some there now. Rango on Crappie.com as a very good article on nightstalking.
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,
    We are about to try it again. I am using jigs and minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 8fishermen View Post
    Thanks,
    We are about to try it again. I am using jigs and minnows.
    Well you should feel a good thump most of the time on the jig, but with the minnow I find more times than not they will lift if when they bite and you will not feel it. You will see or feel a loss of weight from him lift the jig by pulling up on the minnow or they may move off to one side or the other. That may be the only thing you see when the bite happens.

So pay very close attention,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!