Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cape Lookout

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cape Lookout

I am leaving this Friday for Cape Lookout to fish for a week or so--anybody have any suggestions or heard any good catches of fish at this time. I was told it is time for the spot to be running. We will be flounder fishing as well as gigging at night---I have heard that it is a good place to fish.
    Get the net!

Post Thanks / Like

everything is on fire at the beach right now! flounder should be right for ya if thats what ur after!
    Full day 1/2 day or evening Striper/Crappie fishing trips available at a very affordable price for
    Lake Norman, Badin, Wateree, High Rock.
    Individual maker of the heavy duty "hybrid" A-rig Trolls just like an umbrella rig, Guaranteed to put fish in the boat

https://www.facebook.com/pmmalec Email: [email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/BOLOcharters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knappy View Post
    I am leaving this Friday for Cape Lookout to fish for a week or so--anybody have any suggestions or heard any good catches of fish at this time. I was told it is time for the spot to be running. We will be flounder fishing as well as gigging at night---I have heard that it is a good place to fish.
    What town you staying in? I'm staying in Frisco that same week.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I fished at Cape Lookout. Before I was old enough to go along and before there was a limit on flounder( mid 80's) my dad used to go there and catch flounder during the day, catch a nap, then gig at night around the lighthouse in "the hook" as it is known where Shackleford Banks used to be connected to the lighthouse. Dad and his friends used to bring home a ton of flounder. By the time I stared going around 1986,1987, they quit gigging and used a truck to ride up and down the beach in front of the lighthouse and at times in mid-late October, the bite was on for pompano, croakers, whiting, spot, and the best of all, blowfish. We stopped this around the mid 90's due to dad's health and my loss of interest. I now have a friend who goes to Morehead City a couple of times a year and gigs around the port. One of our friends from the early days at the coast goes to Emerald Isle for the fall & winter and behind the place he stays at can catch decent amounts of flounder and puppy drum. He sent an e-mail last week of flounder. Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ncnat View Post
    I hate to hear that, nat, I was hoping you would catch some fish that weekend. Oh well. I am afraid thats Too close to Knappy ,!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ncnat View Post
    we are staying on the island all week--we will be down at the hook as it is called
    Get the net!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyfootnc View Post
    Years ago I fished at Cape Lookout. Before I was old enough to go along and before there was a limit on flounder( mid 80's) my dad used to go there and catch flounder during the day, catch a nap, then gig at night around the lighthouse in "the hook" as it is known where Shackleford Banks used to be connected to the lighthouse. Dad and his friends used to bring home a ton of flounder. By the time I stared going around 1986,1987, they quit gigging and used a truck to ride up and down the beach in front of the lighthouse and at times in mid-late October, the bite was on for pompano, croakers, whiting, spot, and the best of all, blowfish. We stopped this around the mid 90's due to dad's health and my loss of interest. I now have a friend who goes to Morehead City a couple of times a year and gigs around the port. One of our friends from the early days at the coast goes to Emerald Isle for the fall & winter and behind the place he stays at can catch decent amounts of flounder and puppy drum. He sent an e-mail last week of flounder. Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps!
    Most of the guys i am going with are targeting only flounder but i just want to catch some fish---whiting, spot, pompano, or whatever---we will be near the jettys, coast guard pier, and hook area---thanks for the post tf---
    Get the net!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy N.C. View Post
    I hate to hear that, nat, I was hoping you would catch some fish that weekend. Oh well. I am afraid thats Too close to Knappy ,!
    I dont care what you say cbnc--i am still going to have a good time---how about a fishing report from this weekend--haven't heard that yet
    Get the net!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cape Lookout

Knappy, you'll have a ball! I was at Bogue Pier at Emerald Isle and also at the Sheraton Pier in Pine Knoll Shores a couple of weeks ago and both days caught big Spanish as well as blues. I'm not so passionate about eating blues, but they're fun to catch. I love to eat Spanish. Bring plenty of Gotcha Plugs. Everybody had more cut-offs this time than ever before. I lost 8 plugs in one day. If you can find them buy your Gotcha plugs before you go. They're hard to find in Carteret County.
    I didn't much try for bottom fishing or flounder cuz I was too busy hooking into Spanish. Watch for sharks -- big ones -- who'll come up under your fish and snatch em! Spots should be running, too.
    Ms. Catfish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. catfish View Post
    Knappy, you'll have a ball! I was at Bogue Pier at Emerald Isle and also at the Sheraton Pier in Pine Knoll Shores a couple of weeks ago and both days caught big Spanish as well as blues. I'm not so passionate about eating blues, but they're fun to catch. I love to eat Spanish. Bring plenty of Gotcha Plugs. Everybody had more cut-offs this time than ever before. I lost 8 plugs in one day. If you can find them buy your Gotcha plugs before you go. They're hard to find in Carteret County.
    I didn't much try for bottom fishing or flounder cuz I was too busy hooking into Spanish. Watch for sharks -- big ones -- who'll come up under your fish and snatch em! Spots should be running, too.
    Ms. Catfish
    Use a short steel leader and you won't lose as many plugs. I normally make my own out of coffee colored leader material. A roll of leader material is about the price of 1 plug.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast