Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little help please.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A little help please.

I am in East Tennessee and new at crappie fishing. I have been fishing tellico lake with little results. People have told me to fish docks and creeks with fallovers. I only started fishing for crappie about 4 weeks ago and have been 4 times. I only have 7 keepers to show for it? Can someone help me find them? I have been using grubs and used minnows 1 trip but caught none with them. What is the water temp I should be looking for? Also if you catch 1 fish from a stump for example, how long should you fish the area? I understand these fish school but I have yet to catch more than 2 fish from the same area? Another question. Fish the main lake area around docks or go into the creeks and fish docks and fall overs. I found some brush piles out in the middle of a cove that were piled up over 3 feet above the water at the end of a cove but the water was only about 3 feet deep. Would this be an area to hold crappie? I am new to fishing for these fish and would really like to learn how to catch them. I am trying to get my wife and little girl into fishing, but it is hard when no action is going on. I know they are pros on here that can point me in the right direction. I would truly be thankful for you time and help. Thank you.

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a fish/depth finder?
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have 2 on my boat. I use the one at the console because I really do not know how to read what is going on on the one I have on my trolling motor at the front of my boat. The one I use has the pick up on the back of the boat. It will show water depth, water temp, and sometimes one or two fish will come up on the screen and it will show how deep the fish are.

Post Thanks / Like

fishin4crappie tips, CD's and jigs - Home

You might want to check out ships dvd. That will get you started. There is so many things involved that noone can get you a honest answer. Weather,body of water, part of the country etc. Also depends on how your setup.

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog007 View Post
    Yes, I have 2 on my boat. I use the one at the console because I really do not know how to read what is going on on the one I have on my trolling motor at the front of my boat. The one I use has the pick up on the back of the boat. It will show water depth, water temp, and sometimes one or two fish will come up on the screen and it will show how deep the fish are.
    Chances are you might be fishing the wrong depth. Be me, I'd be looking at thermoclines right now and determine where the bait fish are holding, then pick a likely submerged tree or dock and fish that depth with a small minnow on a slip cork.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Bulldog007 ...

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog007 View Post
    I am in East Tennessee and new at crappie fishing. I have been fishing tellico lake with little results. People have told me to fish docks and creeks with fallovers. I only started fishing for crappie about 4 weeks ago and have been 4 times. I only have 7 keepers to show for it? Can someone help me find them? I have been using grubs and used minnows 1 trip but caught none with them. What is the water temp I should be looking for? Also if you catch 1 fish from a stump for example, how long should you fish the area? I understand these fish school but I have yet to catch more than 2 fish from the same area? Another question. Fish the main lake area around docks or go into the creeks and fish docks and fall overs. I found some brush piles out in the middle of a cove that were piled up over 3 feet above the water at the end of a cove but the water was only about 3 feet deep. Would this be an area to hold crappie? I am new to fishing for these fish and would really like to learn how to catch them. I am trying to get my wife and little girl into fishing, but it is hard when no action is going on. I know they are pros on here that can point me in the right direction. I would truly be thankful for you time and help. Thank you.
    I'll give it a whirl :p

Right now, the Crappie are in a seasonal change of territory, and may be scattered out, not only in where they are ... but, also how deep they are. But, as the season progresses, and water temps fall ... the docks will produce better, and the blowdowns should always be given special attention (if they're in relatively deep water).
    Right now, creeks and the river ends of lakes should be cooling off faster than the main lake areas. As the temps progressively fall, even the main lake docks/stickups/laydowns/brushpiles/channel edges/cliff walls should start to hold some fish. Surface water temps below 70deg & falling ... should be a indicator of increased action. Once it gets down close to 60deg & falling, the action should be at peak. But, also bare in mind that weather conditions can change the depth that Crappie will suspend in, or come into ... sometimes rather quickly, and often times rather drastically.
    If the lake has/still has a thermocline ... consider that depth as the deepest water level you need to consider. Fall Turnover, if it happens on your waters, will scatter the fish ... making it even more difficult to pinpoint them. Once the lake has settled, though, they will revert back to their normal patterns & locations.
    I usually give any one spot about 15mins to produce a fish, and add another 15mins after each fish caught ... I won't sit on a spot for more than 30mins without some action :p (doesn't matter if it's a dock, stumpbed, laydown, etc ... note: I'm casting jighead/plastics 99% of the time)

As to the shallow brushpile ... keep it's location in mind, for next Spring ... IF & WHEN the normal Spring water level would put it under a few more feet of water.

Added note: I've never fished Tellico, but have fished Watts Bar during the Oct/Nov time period. More often than not, Black Crappie are going to be in the creeks and around the main lake deep water docks & brushpiles or laydowns. They won't be all that deep themselves, but they will be suspended in deep water. White Crappie, on the other hand, will likely not be in the creeks or around the main lake banks ... but, will still be on the deep creek/river channel edges & intersections. I specifically go to WB, in late Oct or mid Nov, targeting the Black Crappie ... under deep water docks, flats with wood, and on the deep ends of blowdowns that reach out into deep water. I'm referring to water greater than 15ft deep, when I say "deep water".

You should also keep an eye on the Tenn State Forum board ... Tellico reports are few & far between, but when posted they can be of great benefit.

... luck2ya, and hope you get Mom & Daughter into some serious pullage :D

... cp

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EZrider View Post
    fishin4crappie tips, CD's and jigs - Home

You might want to check out ships dvd. That will get you started. There is so many things involved that noone can get you a honest answer. Weather,body of water, part of the country etc. Also depends on how your setup.
    As several have mentioned there is many ways to crappie fish. The key is to research the forum for answers, reading, and keeping your line wet.

PS
    The coffee pot is on
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. East Tennessee has several great lakes to fish near Knoxville. Cherokee Lake, Douglas Lake, Watts Bar are all great lakes to go to. The key is to get out there. Whatever rig setup you are fishing, the key is to fish it slow.

These are my own personal favorite setups for shallow and deep water. It may help some. As Bob said, the key also is to do your homework and read some of the posts already on this forum. Again, welcome to the board.

Hope these help some.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ig-setups.html

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-t...s-pinmins.html
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

hey bulldog, lately we've been doing ok on chicamauga the last week or so with a slip float and minnow dropping them in brush on the main channel. not alot of keepers showing up yet, but good news for next spring is the numbers. the main channel temp last friday was 78, it should have cooled a little more since then. hope this helps some

Post Thanks / Like

You can check out my web page on the How To page which there is some info and I plan on adding a good bit there.

I don't know what your lake is like, but in the spring and fall I love long line trolling and do have some info on there about that.

When fishing a jig try not moving it at all and keep a constant eye on your line when dropping it to the depth you are fishing at. If it stops it will be a fish or limb so need to check. Be a line watcher as many time a crappie will bit and lift it up so yo see slack and don't feel anything.

I sometimes will move my rod over a couple of feet and then let the jig swing back under the tip.

Lots of fish caught where you didn't feel them, but see the line move up or get slack or what ever.

Hope this helps,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast