Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New motor break-in time

Post Thanks / Like

Default New motor break-in time

The dealer told me not to run the new 50 hp 2 stroke Merc past 3/4 throttle until I had 10 hours on it or one tank of gas (12 gal) thru it would take about 10 hours. That 1st tank is gone and it's no where near 10 hours on the motor. I had to mix the gas 50:1 along with what ever the oil injection system was adding. What do you think, should I open her up or keep puttering around for 5-6 more hours ?

fishing buddy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Drive it like you stole it:D:D chicken

www.slabcrappieguides.com
    Hi Tek Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Baits

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sticksteer View Post
    The dealer told me not to run the new 50 hp 2 stroke Merc past 3/4 throttle until I had 10 hours on it or one tank of gas (12 gal) thru it would take about 10 hours. That 1st tank is gone and it's no where near 10 hours on the motor. I had to mix the gas 50:1 along with what ever the oil injection system was adding. What do you think, should I open her up or keep puttering around for 5-6 more hours ?
    It's strange how many different procedures are recommended for this. Mine told me the oil reservoir was full (on my 75 Merc), and he also mixed "an hour's worth" of 50:1 in the tank.......the concept is to get extra oil for break in. Start out ideling for 2-3 minutes - go half throttle for 2-3 minutes - bust it full throttle 2-3 minutes....repeat, repeat, repeat for an hour.......After that, carry on as normal.....

This supposedly helps to "break in" the motor by running it at different temperatures..........I followed the procedure (4 years ago)......and she's run like a champ since.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Now that makes more sense than what that crackhead at the dealership said. I'm going to add a little extra oil to the next tank and go at it like that. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I ran mine (same motor) at half throttle for 10 hours (or there about) just like my dealer said....Don't know that it would hurt it, but I was affraid to void warranty or something...

Post Thanks / Like

when i got mine i was told the same thing as jig but 10 min each speed
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder what the factory says about break-in for their motor's?

TINY

Post Thanks / Like

The last poster makes sense on this one. Go by what the owner's manual reccommends. If you don't, you could void the warranty. And all they have to do is pull a record from the engines 'onboard computer' to find out how it was broke in.
    I apologize ahead of time if I'm mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I would prolly look in the owers manual new engines way too expensive to mess up. There may be a different break in procedure from engine to engine.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also look at the owners manual. And do what it shows.
    I know I hate breaking in a new motor. And sure glad the E-Tec shows to run it wide open out of the box. And that is how I have ran it.
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast