Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pete, Fred and me/Oak Island this week 10/1

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pete, Fred and me/Oak Island this week 10/1

Fred, Pete and I got down to Oak Island this week. We took my boat.
    First Day: Sea conditions were tough. Wave height was 2 to 4 when we went out and and 3 to 5 when we back. Luckily we were heading with the wind and the wave swells on the way back in. My boat is only 20 feet however I found out that its dry in rough seas. but its under powered for seas that rough. Pete is near guiding status at Oak Island so he ran the boat out and let me run it back in. I don't want to go out in seas like that again though. We didn't catch but one good fish and was totally beaten when we got back to the boat ramp. Fred did land a 20 lb. drum that we had to release per NCDNR REGS.
    Second Day: Seas were one to two feet all day. We went about 5 miles out. I got lucky and caught a 15 lb drum that we could keep as it was within the regulatory length. We caught our limit in grey trout plus two nice Spanish mackerels. Toward the end of the day I really got lucky and caught a 27lb 9 oz drum that was a hell of a battle to get in the boat.. but again we had to release it.....great day on the ocean though.
    Third Day: The best day .The ocean was flat as a mirror. It was like being on Lake Norman or Lake Murray. We started off by catching 14 grey trout, two more Spanish and then the excitement started. The King Mackerel moved in and boats around us started catching them. Pete was watching the action and stated some were at least 30 lbs. Pete said lets run back to shore and get some bait for them. We headed for the shore and the beach and pulled up about 100 yards from shore and Pete started netting porgies. Looks like fresh water brim about 1/2 lb or so. He netted about 20 and we headed back out as fast as the boat would go. Pete set up the king rods and we started trolling. I caught a 12 lb king on on my rod. Fifteen minutes later Pete caught a 20 lb king and then we trolled and waited for Fred to catch one. It came about 30 minutes later and it was 15 lbs. We decided to troll for 30 more minutes as it was near six PM. Just as we were getting the rods in my reel started jerking and the the line went out.... Pete grabbed the rod as he was the nearest and hooked the fish. After about three minutes he said it was a shark. So we settled back and let him fight the shark. After about 20 minutes he had it come up about 10 feet off the bow. It wasn't a shark. A 25 lb. king mackerel was on the line. I didn't mind him reeling it in on my rod as I was tired as heck anyway. . It took Pete another 15 minutes or so to gaff the king and get it in the boat....what a great fish. We had four king mackerels plus the trout in the boat and headed for the ramp about 12 miles away. Great day but a long one.

We caught about 190 lbs (estimated) of fish in three days of which 20 lbs Fred's drum was caught on the first day in one fish so really the last two days netted about 170 lbs of fish. The grey trout were running 1 to 4 lbs.
    Great trip Some photos attached.......iamfishing.(posted NC forum as Pete belongs here and what a fisherman he is)
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Iamfishing; 10-01-2008 at 09:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like ya'll had a good time!!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the kind words there steve! as stated before, messin with the salties is something i love to do and i feel i am pretty dog on good at it. its almost like work.......workin hard throwing the net all morning, then tryin to find the fish! the sayin is true, work hard, fish harder :D

woke up this morning back hurtin like hell from that last hard battle with the foul hooked "shark" :D and arms killin me from throwing them nets, but i went fishing to the pier anyways.......and ended up decking a limit of kings there :D pics/report to come whenever i get a chance.

the fishing really wasnt "as good" as it should of been, but at least we caught a few.

on a side note, i met up with a buddy that trolled for only kings from sun up to sun down yesterday in the same areas we were fishin at....probably came by us and didnt even notice them. they "only" caught 9 kings. so for only the 2ish hrs we spent trolling for em and catching 4 and missing 2 more, we did pretty damn good!
    Full day 1/2 day or evening Striper/Crappie fishing trips available at a very affordable price for
    Lake Norman, Badin, Wateree, High Rock.
    Individual maker of the heavy duty "hybrid" A-rig Trolls just like an umbrella rig, Guaranteed to put fish in the boat

https://www.facebook.com/pmmalec Email: [email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/BOLOcharters

Post Thanks / Like

good post-Thanks for sharing the pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Pete dont know how to catch fish.:D See you saturday for the long run....
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

posted NC forum as Pete belongs here and what a fisherman he is)

Thats for the post....we know what a fisherman Pete is...we all wait in anticipation for his High Rock reports.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome trip there guys, AWESOME !!!!!
    Remember, throw'em back unless ITZAKEEPER ....

Post Thanks / Like

Pete on Wed, after catching bait we went to the same reef. We throttled back, first line in about 5 pulls of line fish on. Got the fish in and immmediatly another on.----That was it for the rest of the day except for a couple of sharks. ------We heard over the radio that the pier had caught 20 kings,,I just laughed and said theres Pete...

Post Thanks / Like

Pete I got a question for ya..............Do you ever smile?.................Nice catch and wish we all could've been there...........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Litebite View Post
    Pete I got a question for ya..............Do you ever smile?.................Nice catch and wish we all could've been there...........

nope....i never smile! :D :p
    Full day 1/2 day or evening Striper/Crappie fishing trips available at a very affordable price for
    Lake Norman, Badin, Wateree, High Rock.
    Individual maker of the heavy duty "hybrid" A-rig Trolls just like an umbrella rig, Guaranteed to put fish in the boat

https://www.facebook.com/pmmalec Email: [email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/BOLOcharters