Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling rod question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling rod question.

After talking back and forth with dedawg, I think I have my spider rig rods fairly well under control. I will probably go with 12 foot spinning rods, as 12s are small enough to fit on my boat, yet long enough to keep bait away from the trolling motor and such.

Now, for trolling, specifically long line with crankbaits, I am still a little confused. He says he uses regular bass casting rods. For striper fishing, line counter reels are used for the most part, so he mentioned these guys.
    Cabela's Depthmaster II/Trolling Series Combo - DM20

When reading some of the articles on this site, one writer uses Diawa SG17LCAs for his cranks, which I would buy in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

I am some curious to what the general consensus is on trolling rods. Most of these that I see just seem so massive such a small fish.

Thanks,

bassboy1

Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

What do y'all think of the Abu Garcia 4601 reel (left version of the 4600) for crank trolling, matched to an equivalent rod? It isn't a line counter, but I like lefty reels, and I haven't found a reasonably priced lefty line counter. Plus, I can measure how much line is pulled out when it goes across the spool once to estimate distance, and theoretically can get it within a couple feet each time.

I noticed that the guy in the article used the SG17LCA reels, and I think these Abu's are about the same size.

Thanks,

bassboy1.