Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New B'n'M Pole

Post Thanks / Like

Default New B'n'M Pole

Was thinkin about gettin this new pole to do some jiging around brush from a canoe or small boat, just wondering if anybody has used it before. I am only interested in the 7' model.

Cabela's Crappie Rod by B'n'M

Also want to pair it up with a Shimano Sienna 1000FB with 125 yards of 8lb Fireline.

Any suggestions or testimonials greatly appreaciated.

PJ35
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

Post Thanks / Like

I checked out your link but Cabela's failed to mention which model of BnM pole it is. Though there are many really good crappie poles on the market, I exclusively use BnM even before I was invited on their prostaff.

Considering the fishing conditions you mentioned above, I would suggest a 10' Ultralite. This is a perfect pole for jigging around brush whether tightlining or under a cork. Here's a link to a couple of sites that sell them - BNM Fishing and HOME

FISH ON,
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I've done a good bit of canoe and kayak fishing this year. A coupla thoughts...

The dang wind has made it tough to stay right on some structure to fish tight like you want to do with that pole. Hopefully you are lucky enough to have a fishing hole with no wind. For me I found being close was the best I could do and casting different distances as the wind moved me around was how I had to fish. I also learned to drop a small anchor and use the wind to try and keep me where I wanted. of course I got spun around a lot. queue the know-it-alls who will chime in about using an anchor in moving water...

Another thing, snagging up happens. A stronger line means you're gonna pull that canoe around trying to break the line. Personally, if I can't pull it free quickly I just wanna break it off quick and retie. I know 8 lb. isn't much but it might be hard to break it from that canoe.
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I am a believer of BnM. I am in the process of switching all my poles and rods to them. Check out there website for a good description of everything they sell. I have had very good customer service from them, especially Virginia. She will spend the time to answer all your questiuons and get you set up.
    You should be able to find soemthing on their website to suit your needs.

Post Thanks / Like

I have nothing but BnM poles on my boat.They have always been part of my guide service and have never let me down.Good poles with great people to work with.

www.greenriverlakecrappietrips.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wasabi makes some really good points. He's exactly right that a heavy line will pull you around in a light boat. But the answer to that is don't change your line. Change your hook. I use 8# on my slip cork rigs but I also use long shank, "extra light" wire #6 cricket hooks that are easily pulled out or through the brush. It really doesn't take that big a hook to catch crappie plus it's good for other panfish. Heck, I've landed 10-12# stripers with that light hook. I'm sure you'll have a great time doing that in a small boat. Strong line with a light hook is the right combination.

Now, I recommended the 10' pole. I can't count the number of times the longer pole helped me get where I wanted to be. Casting is not an issue with a long pole. But, pitching and allowing a slow fall with a light jig or pitching with a live bait under a cork will put you where you want to be. And, the quality slabs you'll catch getting where you can get with a longer pole will pull you around too but you won't mind at all. Fishing from a smalll boat like you're doing is no different than the old-timers I learned from using a skulling paddle. Use the pole to get you there and then use the boat to get them out of it and into the boat. Countless stories have entered my ears where a long pole was used and a limit of crappie was caught on a single spot.

Get a long pole and learn to use it efficiently like an extension of your own arm and learn to call out "HOLD YOUR HEAD UP..." as you pull that monster crappie out of the cover.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I also was going to put #4 mono on the spare spool, but now I'm not sure the reel I want comes with one... I will have to go and feel a similar rod in the 7 and 10' lengths. And it's not only for a canoe, I just wanted it to be compact and light. I will be doing most of my fishing from a 19' Center Console.

PJ35
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Long jig poles, sculling paddles, and wooden johnboats are what I grew up on also.