Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a crappie question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got a crappie question

First I will tell the story then ask the question. My father-in-law and I caught 97 Sunday and Monday on the Tombigbee River In Gainsville Ala. Caught the most of them on a ledge in 20 feet of water near where the shad were runnning and boy were they full of shad. The only thing we could get them little fishy to bite were minners, could not find a jig that they liked.

My question about it as this when I got home and cleaned them about half of the females had small egg sacks in them. Is eggs for next year or will they try and spawn before winter?

Post Thanks / Like

they start to get eggs in october for next year........

TacoBender is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

It's eggs for the spring. Did you tip your jig with Berkley Crappie Nibbles. Sometime when you do that it will excite the whole school. If it works it will be cheaper that minnows and you don't have to worry about them dying.
    TacoBender
    On The Spot Guide Service
    "Catchin Crappie Year Round"
    www.onthespotwithscott.com

Post Thanks / Like

No I did not tip with nibbles (should have I have a boat full of them) my father in law was wearing me out on minnows so I just figured when in Rome do as the Romans. Thanks for the info however I am going today and I will try the nibbles.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nibbles produce?

Let us know how those nibbles worked out? I use nibbles sometimes and minnows sometimes. Had good luck with both at different times and had times when one wouldn't produce bites and the other would. It varies for me.
    "To catch fish, you gotta be on the fish!"

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason lately, I've not had any luck on jigs either. I've had some awesome luck on shiners though. I will definitely try tipping my jigs with something though. I don't think I have any nibbles. I have some crappie candy in red, gold, and silver though. Just never had much luck with them. Might have to give them another shot on the tips of some jigs. You guys are just a complete fountain of knowledge on here. I really love this place.

Post Thanks / Like

we been catchin 150-200 a trip with jigs tipped with nothin. I've found that when they not hittin my jigs, goin to a liter or heavier jig is all that is required. I thro 3/32 90% of the time but a 1/16 or 1/32 will sometimes do best. once in a while a 1/8th. we also change from hair to plastic and get more strikes, at times. if they won't hit on the cast, we get rite over them an try to hold the jig still rite in front of their nose. we call these times "minnow days". we know we could do better with minnows, but I just hate to hear them scream when ya stick that hook in'em...

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie start growing eggs as soon as they have laid them you will see eggs in the females year around that is not uncommon
    Mr. Plucker

TacoBender is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I agree, you can catch crappie without anything tipped on your jig. But I've done tests where I have two rods, one in each hand,same rod, same color jig, same line, same depth, everything, and the jig tipped with Berkley Crappie Nibbles out catches the jig with nothing on it by at least 50%. I've also noticed that the longer you use Nibbles in a area it seems to excite the school and they get more and more aggressive. Hope this helps it may or it may not you'll just have to try it and see for yourself.
    GoodLuck
    TacoBender
    On The Spot Guide Service
    "Catchin Crappie Year Round"
    www.onthespotwithscott.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

need help to catch crappie in western pa. lakes. what are the best methods to catch crappie during this fall change over of the lakes. what are the patterns crappie use for this changeover of conditions. do crappie nibbles really work on jigs? and where does one get them if they do work. Was at moraine lake yesterday and could not raise a bite. Are the fish full of bugs as one person told me. What is the best methods to catch these critters during this time? Your help needed. Thanks, ten bears. some of you guys just know what works best. your help appreciated. want to take grandsons fishing for crappie and catch some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast