Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your rod holder setups.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Show me your rod holder setups.

I am curious as to the rod holder layout on other peoples boats. Not what type of rod holder, as I have that decided already, but the location and number of them. Pictures would be great, but descriptions are fine too. Basically, I want to see what layout everybody uses for trolling, spider rigs, etc.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default check out this link to previous post...

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ost588208.html

the bases for the spider rig across the front are Quick draws from Cabelas. I have four more of these bases on the back deck/gunwhales also. Here's the link to Cabelas:

Cabela's QuickDraw and 360HT Rod Holders

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do much spider rigging or trolling off the front ("pushing"), but my set up in the back is pretty basic. I made my own rod holders out of PVC pipe, 1.5 inch works great, and you can get lots of funky shape connectors and elbows. When trolling crank baits or jigs, I have two horizontal holders for long rods out each side, and then two more set up at 45 degrees for straight behind the boat. It's not as fancy as some other set ups, but I like it just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright. Lets see what y'all think about this.

My boat is 15.5 feet long, 68 inches wide, with a 42 inch bottom width.

I installed those countersunk rod holders, and although I can see using them for trolling in a boat with high gunnels, they absolutely didn't fit my purpose.

Here is the stern deck of my boat. Yes, I know, the boat is dirty. It hasn't rained here in ages, and I have it uncovered it, as I have been working on it as I get time (restoration project - that explains the wooden rod holder template in the next picture, as well as the rough layout of certain things, and the overall unfinished look). I don't like the sunk in rod holders at all, however, I will used the two facing the stern to my advantage. I am going to make an inverted U out of some stainless pieces we have, that will drop into the stern rod holders, loop up to the level of the motor cowl, and be braced back to the transom. This will put the rods at an easier height to reach, and will allow me to put a 4 rod spread for both crappie and striper U-rig trolling.

I know y'all probably can't get the greatest mental picture from my description, but until I finish it, that is about as good as I can do.

That should pretty well cover my trolling setup.

Now, for striper downlines, as well as crappie rod holders, I will put universal bases (that I fabricate myself) around the boat. These will have the capability of putting in single holders for striper downlines, or crappie rods, as well as putting in spider rig spreaders, if I so desire. I will likely put one base on each side of the stern deck, just aft of the sunk in holders.

Here is my bow deck.

I will probably put a base at the far forward part of the deck on the starboard side, as well as about even with the back of the deck on both the port and starboard side. There will probably be another just aft of the trolling motor on the port side.

This will give me 6 bases that could hold either 6 striper/crappie downline rods, or 6 spider rig spreads. Also, it gives me a spread for 4 trolling rods, capable of both U-rigs and crappie cranks.

Lemme know what you think about this idea.
    Last edited by bassboy1; 09-29-2008 at 06:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have rod holders in each corner with additional mounting plates in the middle, front and back and left to right. (8 total positions available). I can also connect the two rear posts with a single bar for trolling crankbaits. Nothing like having options on where and how I want to fish in different situations:D.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Yikess, that sure looks like a comfortable seat you have on the stern deck in that shot on the water. Where would a feller find one like that? Oh, sure am sorry about somebody having stolen all the stuff out of your garage, looks like they wiped you out, clean down to bare walls.
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

Post Thanks / Like

The garage is cleaner than my living room- WOW.

Post Thanks / Like

lol, fellers did I say that was my garage? Unfortunately mine is packed full of all types of goodies like lawn mower, edger, weedeater etc like yours.

I found the beast deal on the seat at iboats.com. I think it ran $169 and worth every penny of it. The seats that came with the boat were fine for 3-4 hours but any longer than that and my back would start hurting me. With this one I can fish all day and be completely comfortable and probably fall asleep somewhere along the way
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yikess View Post
    I have rod holders in each corner with additional mounting plates in the middle, front and back and left to right. (8 total positions available). I can also connect the two rear posts with a single bar for trolling crankbaits. Nothing like having options on where and how I want to fish in different situations:D.
    That is real close to the layout that I was thinking about. 4 on the bow deck, and 2 on the stern, as well as the trolling bar.

Thanks all.

I will post pictures when I finish making them, and when I completely finish the boat build.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's mine.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast