Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question

Other than being colder is night fishing in the fall/winter an affective way of catching them. I know most people do it in the summer months for various reasons. If so do you fish the same way you do in the summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Same way year round. When it's colder you may want to go deeper.

Post Thanks / Like

another good thing it gets darker a lot earlier so you can fish 4 or5 hrs and still get in the bed by11 and work the next day
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by painterfish View Post
    another good thing it gets darker a lot earlier so you can fish 4 or5 hrs and still get in the bed by11 and work the next day
    That is one of the reasons I like night fishing in the winter time. You do need to be prepared for everything, you'll be the only one out there most winter nights
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Being a shore fisherman most of the time I have found that the best time for fishing is in the winter. The fish seem to put on the feed bag that time of year and seem to feed for longer periods of time. Maybe because there is less daylight. I have found that the fish will bite in the day time quite well in the winter unlike the summer. I have also found that they tend to get more aggressive at dusk in the winter. I have not done any night fishing but it sounds like I need to.

Post Thanks / Like

over the years some of my bigger fish and bigger # of big fish have been at night in the winter when it is so cold the line freezes to the spool alot of the talk on the sc side is about nightstalking , we just find flatts or points near deep water drops and anchor in the deep water, and most times in the winter you will have your first fish in the boat before you get fully set up. last year was bad with the drought and all but the year before i went by myself and had several night were i caught 100 + fish in 4hrs when you set up on them, most of them perch but who cares when they are a fillet you cant hardly tell. but i have come home with a limit of crappie(30) and the smallest one be 1.25 up to 3 even:D i did that last nov. during the lake wylie drought. the expert on this subject would have to be rango on the sc side, he has helped alot of up and coming crappie fisherman get there nightstalking down pat. look on the main page of crappie.com and he had a article on it , it is a must read . good luck jeff (bowlerman)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishCrazy View Post
    Being a shore fisherman most of the time I have found that the best time for fishing is in the winter. The fish seem to put on the feed bag that time of year and seem to feed for longer periods of time. Maybe because there is less daylight. I have found that the fish will bite in the day time quite well in the winter unlike the summer. I have also found that they tend to get more aggressive at dusk in the winter. I have not done any night fishing but it sounds like I need to.
    I agree! Not only are the days shorter but the bugs die out during the winter months, and the amphibians such as small frogs, lizzards etc. go into hybernation, giving the fish less food. I've always been a winter time crappie fisherman, never even considered it during the summer, however, now that gas is expensive and the coastal trips are limited, I'm starting to do more freshwater fishing during the summer months. I'm not used to fishing shallow for crappie and its taking some gettin used to. Hopefully next summer I'll be able to get on them.