Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking news... uh I mean wind.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Breaking news... uh I mean wind.

FOXNews.com - West Virginia Man Charged with Assaulting an Officer - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

I guess these days you can get charged with anything once the cops have you in custody. Pretty soon they will put you in jail for having BO. They probably already do somewhere.

I got pulled over a couple months ago after being followed by a cop so closely for about 4 miles in a 35 mph zone that there were times I could not see the squad cars lights in my rear view mirror because he was so close. I was driving safely, under the limit, and had my seat belt on. He flips on his lights and pulls me over, asks for my reg and license. He tells me he pulled me over because I threw a cigarette butt out my window. I tell him I don't smoke and had my windows closed the whole time he followed me. He insists he saw me do it. I kindly tell him he is welcome to search my car for cigarettes and smell my breath. This of course pisses him off and he tells me I better watch my attitude, and then again insists I threw the butt out of my window. I assure him not only don't I smoke, but have never smoked in my life and that it was impossible for him to have seen it. He says then someone must have put a cigarette on my car that fell off it while I was driving. I tell him I had been in the woods all evening fishing at the river with no one being near my car. He continues to insist he saw it. I was polite and calm during this whole ridiculous scene, but by now I have had more than enough of this guy, and he can tell, so he starts lecturing me on showing respect for police officers doing their job. He goes on for five minutes while I steam in my car keeping my mouth shut, imagining that if I open my mouth in reason one more time he will probably arrest me for some trumped up charge just because he's in a bad mood. He finally runs out of steam and has nothing to charge me with, so he rudely gives me back my license and heads back to his car. I ask him for his name and badge number to his back as he is going away and he yells NO! and climbs into his car, and waits for me to pull out. He then follows me to the edge of town.

After he leaves I am boiling in my car. I head back into town and stop and at a busy corner and wait for another police car to come by which in this day and age isn't a very long wait. I wave it down and it pulls over. A female police officer kindly listens to what just happened with a look on her face like this isn't an unusual situation. She knows who it is and gives me his name when I ask for it without any problem. She seemed pretty friendly, so I asked her why an officer would waste his time pulling over someone for something as petty as throwing a cig out the window when it didn't actually happen, and then behave like I was a guilty criminal instead of a law abiding citizen. Get this, this is really what she said. She said, you know this is a small town and we get bored. Can you believe it?? I didn't have anything to say to that, so I thanked her after a little more chatting for her time and got in my car and left.

I have since been followed the same way for several miles in that town in the same manner. I have come to the conclusion that he just made up the cigarette story, and that they regularly follow people like that to intimidate them or force them into doing something they can pull people over for. After I left that second officer that night I went down the street and watched for a half hour before I left town, and I watched as the cops in that town pull over about 1 in ever 4 or 5 cars that drove down this main street of this town at 1 am in the morning. I saw them pull over 3 more people in that half hour.

In my observation, this is not uncommon behavior with police these days. Many officers have the opinion that people are guilty until proven innocent and they have a gang mentality when dealing with the public. That's why this story caught my attention. Its a good thing I didn't have gas while that cop was lecturing me. I'm sure he would have slapped me in cuffs if I had let one go while he was there. Its sad what is happening in this country.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 09-24-2008 at 09:21 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say you were being harrassed. He, on the other hand deserved what he got. He was driving under the influence and operating a vehicle in an unsafe manner to begin with. The he disrespected the officer when he moved next to him and cut the cheese!!
    He asked for what he got!!

Post Thanks / Like

Good story Grizz. I am sure that this same scene occurs more than one would think. It just goes to show that law enforcement people are human too. There has to be X amount of a**holes in any group of people, as there are in any Church or Government, or forum. There also are the ones that try to do things right, and will only mess with those who deserve it. Small towns are notorious for giving us the Barney Fifes of the world. Just another example of a situation where proper parenting was not present.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Reaper. Cops are just human and not all are cut out for the job.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Birddog,

I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Post Thanks / Like

Well speaking from first hand knowledge I will agree that cops are humans - they make mistakes - they wake up in bad moods - some take it out on others - and that is not right - I will not take up for those guys - you have some folks that meet the physical qualifications and can pass a written test and all of sudden they are cops - I am far from being the poster boy for Law Enforcement - but I have been making common sense decisions for 26 years now that has let me survive this crazy profession - why some cops want to make random stops because they are bored is just so stupid to begin with - traffic stops is one of the most dangerous things we do - if it is necessary it should be done - traffic stops is not one of my priamry duties - but if people are making a complete mockery of traffic laws I do stop them if I have too for the public safety of our community - sorry but throwing a cigarette butt out (and I not saying you did) is a crime and 25 acres burned behind my house last night because someone through a cigarette out - as well it is littering - and if we let everyone just throw out what they wanted to we could not make it to the river to go fishing - I am not making excuses for this guy sounds like he is a bad apple - exactly what I teach new recruits not to do - as there has never been a case worth winning that you have get on a stand and lie - not even fabricate probable cause to make an arrest - I think if you look at the entire profession you will find most do what they are supposed to do - but yes they are human and they make mistakes
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I can put up with a lot of sheet, people who throw their butts out and hits my windshield really pisses me off and it almost happens weekly here with I 40 and 55 meet. I think we need a osepher just for butt thowers...

\
    Quote Originally Posted by crap-king View Post
    Well speaking from first hand knowledge I will agree that cops are humans - they make mistakes - they wake up in bad moods - some take it out on others - and that is not right - I will not take up for those guys - you have some folks that meet the physical qualifications and can pass a written test and all of sudden they are cops - I am far from being the poster boy for Law Enforcement - but I have been making common sense decisions for 26 years now that has let me survive this crazy profession - why some cops want to make random stops because they are bored is just so stupid to begin with - traffic stops is one of the most dangerous things we do - if it is necessary it should be done - traffic stops is not one of my priamry duties - but if people are making a complete mockery of traffic laws I do stop them if I have too for the public safety of our community - sorry but throwing a cigarette butt out (and I not saying you did) is a crime and 25 acres burned behind my house last night because someone through a cigarette out - as well it is littering - and if we let everyone just throw out what they wanted to we could not make it to the river to go fishing - I am not making excuses for this guy sounds like he is a bad apple - exactly what I teach new recruits not to do - as there has never been a case worth winning that you have get on a stand and lie - not even fabricate probable cause to make an arrest - I think if you look at the entire profession you will find most do what they are supposed to do - but yes they are human and they make mistakes

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

Law enforcement is like any profession. There are going to be people in it that have no business being there. In my experience, those "bad apples" always tend to get weeded out eventually. Granted, sometimes it takes longer than it should. It's also my experience that the vast majority make an honest effort to do their job well.
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Wow! Now watch the system clear those two clowns of all charges. I think that both of them should have the book thrown at them and have a minimum of 3 years given them. They should never be able to work in law enforcement again, and be publicly scoffed. Both of them are nothing but scum. I don't care how much "good" they have done in their lives. This one incident was completely uncalled for and they should pay dearly. I hope the guy has a good attorney and is able to reep millions from the city of Denver. They should move to Russia and apply for a position under Putin.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast