Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: post spond (little help

Post Thanks / Like

Default post spond (little help

Just curious what everyone does to find fish for post spond conditions at my home lake the fish head for the main lake and stay fairly shallow till summer pat. Anyone every do anything different? Post spond is the only time of the year i can't pattern fish consistently. I would love to here what every one does and see if i'am going about it all wrong. Anyone have a theory????

Post Thanks / Like

fastfisher, i look for them in closest deep water near spawning grounds.Seem to like wood alot here right now-catchin em in 10-16 ft deep.Good Fishin To Ya!!!Dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fastfisher
    Just curious what everyone does to find fish for post spond conditions at my home lake the fish head for the main lake and stay fairly shallow till summer pat. Anyone every do anything different? Post spond is the only time of the year i can't pattern fish consistently. I would love to here what every one does and see if i'am going about it all wrong. Anyone have a theory????

It is by far the toughest time to pattern crappie, so don't worry over it too much.....depending on how "post-spawn" they really are....the males stay in shallow to protect the fry for a little while then head back out into deeper water for the summer. However, immediately after the spawn the females start making their way back out to the deeper water....usually following a staging process, of shallow to creek mouths to deeper water....

Please correct me if anyone else has a better theory.....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb post spawn .....

if you're looking at numbers and the bigger fish ...... they will do as the water temps dictate. As the water heats up in the shallows, they will return to the deep channels - usually by way of the same route, in reverse, that brought them to the shallows from the main lake channels (pre-spawn). But - there are contingents that will stay in the shallower waters. This depends on available shaded waters. Boat docks, blowdowns, bridges, and even a timbered East bank of a lake will provide shaded water; which will hold fish shallow thru much of the morning hours - if not thru the midday hours, as well. Humps with stumps (or standing or piled timber), out in the main lake, are also good holding grounds. And the water doesn't have to be all that deep, either ... since the submerged cover offers shade, security, and ambush potential. Wind whipped waves & general traffic will keep the surface water disturbed enough to diffuse the sunlight ... but, an overcast day is even better. Flat water days, with heavy sunlight penetration, will put the fish deeper in the water column or farther down into the available cover.
    Think water temps, available cover/shade, close proximity to deeper water, and track the baitfish movements and whereabouts (location & depth) ... and you'll be one step closer to finding where the Crappie are lurking ........ luck2ya .......cp