Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I have crappies because I see bubbles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do I have crappies because I see bubbles

In the lake that I fish I've caught numerous bass. Lately I've been trying to do some crappie fishing in there. I've tried both jigs (tipped with crappie nibbles) and minnows. So far I've only caught one crappie on a crankbait. A guy I know said he knows for a fact that crappie are in the lake. He showed me some small bubbles in the water and said those are crappie making the bubbles. Is this true?
    There's nothing like feeling that THUMP...FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ol JohnnyBoy View Post
    He showed me some small bubbles in the water and said those are crappie making the bubbles. Is this true?
    Lots of fish do this. Carp certainly do. Catfish do as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Chances are the bubble you're seeing are CO2 being released from decomposition on the lake bottom. Pretty common all year round, but more prevalent in the fall and spring when the temperature runs down or up.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish Farts

What ever fish was down there had probably ate something that didn't agree with him. The bubbles are probably just some little fish farts.
    Crappie spawning and morels popping up at the same time. What was God thinking when he made that schedule. It's pure torture every spring deciding which to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard that before myself, but I would doubt that is the case. Just another of those little bits of "wisdom" fishermen like to use to explain things. I've also been told that you can SMELL crappie when they are in an area. A guy told me that's how he finds his crappie holes when he fishes a local river here in Ohio. I know crappie stink a little worse in the summer, but I have trouble believing they stink enough to stank up a the water.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle Man from the Mo. board swears so.He is always singing Tiny Bubble as he fishes.Kinda think they bite just so they aint gotta listen anymore.LOL Sorry ole buddy.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckWick View Post
    I've heard that before myself, but I would doubt that is the case. Just another of those little bits of "wisdom" fishermen like to use to explain things. I've also been told that you can SMELL crappie when they are in an area. A guy told me that's how he finds his crappie holes when he fishes a local river here in Ohio. I know crappie stink a little worse in the summer, but I have trouble believing they stink enough to stank up a the water.
    dont know about crappie but i had a great aunt that could smell out bream beds!!

Post Thanks / Like

i see bubbles sometimes in the tub but luckily havent seen any crappie in there with me

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if my wife will get mad at me when I ask my 4 year old girl
    while sitting at the dinner table,

"Kylie, if fish fart, do they make bubbles in the water - like we do?"

And then I will sit back and wait for that, "Look from my wife."

For some reason, this subject also reminds me of why I get sent to
    the couch in the back room some nights!

Rick.
    Last edited by Cincinnati; 09-23-2008 at 09:12 PM.
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always told people that fish do that around me. That's their way of trembling! They sense my pressence and get scared. :D
    If you are a veteran or active military, THANK YOU.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast